skincer

Time-Sert or Helicoil - Stripped Oil Drain Threads

Well, on my first attempt at an oil change I managed to strip the engine case threads when I was re-installing the drain bolt. I was even using my brand new torque wrench because I don't have much experience. From the research I've done, installing a helicoil or Time-Sert insert seem to be a couple common ways to fix this. The Time-Sert seems like it would be more solid than a helicoil. Anybody have experience or opinions about which would be best?

I talked to Moto World and they don't do it anymore, but they used Time-Sert back when they did. Does anyone know of a shop around town that has experience installing Time-Serts and that still does it? After what I've just done, I'd really rather have someone that knows what they're doing install it than attempting it myself.

BTW, this is on a 2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700 ATV.

Thanks.

Steve

I ve used timesert on an oil drain before with success. Or if you have room you could retap for a bigger drain bolt.

Regardless, its gotta be done right (straight), and be really careful about metal shavings inside your engine (use grease on the bits and taps so shavings stick, clean bits very often. and do it ssllooww)

Kato is correct, bought my son a KX 100 with a stripped drain plug , just drilled it out for the next size bigger plug and made sure to flush the case out. If your not sure of yourself take it to a shop for sure.