Sign in to follow this  
Spaugh

Anza Borrego Ride Friday Nov 23th 9:00 ocatillo

I've pieced together a pretty long loop that I'd like to tackle this week if I can get a few people to join me. It will start in ocatillo, ride through washes up towards canyon sin nombre then cut through the park and come out near split mountain and then head back south towards the 80\8 freeways via painted gorge and the head back west towards ocatillo.

I've never been on the last leg that goes from spit mountain through painted gorge so I can't say how the terrain will be but I suppose its open desert ish quick paced. Anyone done this loop before have any comments? The first half is desert washy type terrain and there are some rocks in fish creek, but I don't remember it being very difficult. Its been a few years since I went through my SUV. Anyone up for this?

We will meet at the GAS STATION OFF OF OCATILLO EXIT ON SOUTH SIDE OF I8 9:00

MAP OF RIDE

1) ocatillo start mortero wash

2) end of mortero wash

3) corrizo badlands overlook

4) start canyon sin nombre

5) cross corrizo creek

6) take arroyo del diablo

7) head toward diablo dropoff

8) enter fish creek

9) hit split mountain road

10) dirt road to painted gorge

11) head right ec193(sw)

12) keep south

13) left

14) right

15) painted gorge

16) 80 or wash back to ocatillo

I think Coyote Canyon is open in Painted Gorge. If you have time it might be worth adding. It is only open a few months per year. :) Ken

If you are talking about Post Turkey Day Friday, I'm in. I'd rather be out riding in the desert than fighting through black friday traffic anyday. Actually I'd rather be out riding than most anything.

Coyote Canyon, I'll check the map, I thought that was in the north west section of the park??

Coyote Canyon, I'll check the map, I thought that was in the north west section of the park??

The gate is at 32deg 48min 46.19N x 115deg 58min 44.10W

Spaugh,

That looks like a great loop, should be a good day! Wish I could join you! You could break it up and hit the good 'ol Blu Inn for lunch, gas top off. My son and I rode green sticker bikes last year from Plaster City, over to Superstition, then up to Ocotillo Wells, got gas and grub at the Blu Inn, then rode back - good 1/2 - 3/4 day ride for us.

I think Coyote Canyon is open in Painted Gorge. If you have time it might be worth adding. It is only open a few months per year. :) Ken

Ken, have you ridden up Lower Coyote Canyon on a bike? I've driven the Jeep up there, and the rocky hillclimb might be kind of hairy on a bike. That being said, I haven't looked at it from a "biker's" perspective - just going off my memory from a few years ago. In any case, it's on my list of trails to ride when I can get back on the bike!!! :D

The gate is at 32deg 48min 46.19N x 115deg 58min 44.10W

Edit: I think spaugh and I are talking about a different Coyote Canyon. The one I'm thinking of is northwest of Borrego Springs.

Maybe I am calling it the wrong name. I have just always called it Coyote Canyon. If you are comming up Painted Gorge road from Plaster City you veer left when you get to the kiosk and head up the jeep road that goes up the mountain. There is a gate there that is closed like 9 months a year.

The gate is at 32,48,46.19N 115,58,44.10W

The kiosk is at 32,48,51.15N 115,58,2400W

Maybe someone can help me with the name.

Maybe I am calling it the wrong name. I have just always called it Coyote Canyon. If you are comming up Painted Gorge road from Plaster City you veer left when you get to the kiosk and head up the jeep road that goes up the mountain. There is a gate there that is closed like 9 months a year.

The gate is at 32,48,46.19N 115,58,44.10W

The kiosk is at 32,48,51.15N 115,58,2400W

Maybe someone can help me with the name.

ok, sounds like the same area I am heading. I want to come down from fish creek along painted gorge. This is a really long ride so we will have to keep up the pace or start earlier to hit this spot.

How is the terrain around painted gorge? High speed? I am a little nervous doing this long of a ride with only one other person so I will want to get at least one other person to come with Will and myself. I'm going to load the bike with extra water and tools for this ride. Preferably someone who knows the painted gorge area. How about you Ken? Satelite phone would be nice too although there will prabably be other people in jeeps in the park.

The route you are planning is only about 3 hours of riding. There will be plenty of people out on Friday (Carguy and I rode some of this same route the day after Thanksgiving last year). I wouldn't mind joining you but I may not have a bike by then. I will let you know tomorrow evening. What kind of bikes will you guys be on? Ken

If I can get out of work. I 'll ride. :D

This holiday schedule seems to be like a yo-yo at work. It's on-It's off, it's on, well you get it. :):D Hard to plan anything.

I do need to ride :):D:D

hey papa, awesome to see you coming, you still doing hixon (spelling?) I didn't want to ride the really tough trails or I would have joined you for that one. Sounds like we should have a sweet ride and if its just a few hours of riding, I think we should do lunch in ocatillo wells area before exploring coyote canyon area ken told us about. Can't wait :) Gonna get some tubes and a fender pack tomorrow.

And Alex, maybe we should car pool??

The route you are planning is only about 3 hours of riding. There will be plenty of people out on Friday (Carguy and I rode some of this same route the day after Thanksgiving last year). I wouldn't mind joining you but I may not have a bike by then. I will let you know tomorrow evening. What kind of bikes will you guys be on? Ken

papa and I both have 450 ktms, I'd offer to let you ride the dirt bike in my garage but the rangers prabably wouldn't like that.

If I am able to go I would feel more comfortable leaving my truck in the big lot by the gas station (just south of the I-8 off ramp) in Ocotillo.

If I am able to go I would feel more comfortable leaving my truck in the big lot by the gas station (just south of the I-8 off ramp) in Ocotillo.

MEETING SPOT NOW GAS STATION OFF OF I8 at OCATILLO EXIT

here is a better map of the ride. RIDE LOOP

I see coyote mountains that you are talking about Ken in this map.

Are we meeting at the gas station? I think, it's a good spot.

NOW MEETING AT GAS STATION SOUTH OF I8 and OCATILLO EXIT! :blink:

Are we meeting at the gas station? I think, it's a good spot.

NOW MEETING AT GAS STATION SOUTH OF I8 and OCATILLO EXIT! :lol:

So we are meeting at the gas station station south of I8 at the ocatillo exit? :lol::blink:

Gas station Ocotillo 76/Texaco(our normal spot), 7AM???? :blink::lol::lol:

I will be there at 7am. Whoever shows up at 7 can ride for a couple of hours and meet back there at 9am to do the loop if that works for everyone. I wish it were tomorrow, I can hardly wait. :blink: Ken

I will be there at 7am. Whoever shows up at 7 can ride for a couple of hours and meet back there at 9am to do the loop if that works for everyone. I wish it were tomorrow, I can hardly wait. :lol: Ken

:lol: you guys are ealry birds :blink: I'll try and keep it tame tommorow night, maybe all the turky sedative will put me out early and I will make it at 7, but no promises. Ken did you get a new bike husky?

Ken did you get a new bike husky?

They are making the bikes and selling them in Europe, but none have made it to the states yet. Not sure what the hold up is. Ken

7:00 AM is too much for me...I'll be there 9:00...I suggest that we bring snacks/sandwiches, so we do not have to deal with Blue Inn dinner...Should be a blust!!! :blink:

See everybody there.

papa.

Well, I don't think I'm going to be able to force myself out of bed to meet you guys out there at 7am tomorrow, but I'll definitely be at the 76 unloaded by 9. See ya there.