Sign in to follow this  
XTSTEVE

03' 525 EXC Clutch Cylinder Fluid Vanishing

03' 525 EXC Clutch Cylinder Fluid Vanishing. The fluid in my clutch cylinder keeps going dry. Not leaking from the top. Dealer says it could be a seal in the clutch. Anyone had this problem and solution?

There is a little oring that goes around the slave cylinder piston and is probably bad. I just looked on Rockymountainatv and the part is about 144 from there but you might be able to find a aftermarket one and just the piston it self and not the whole thing. Pretty simple fix but might be a little expensive. The guys over at GP Motorcycles near the airport had an aftermarket one for a old husky i worked on a while back.

Hello XTSTEVE, I think last time we saw you were driving your bike back up to your house after a long day of rescuing Will with a broken wrist. Yeah long time ago... Welcome back.

there is an oring on the slave cylinder that separates the clutch oil from the engine oil. Sounds like yours needs replacing. Buy the 1$ orings, no need to replace the entire slave cylinder.

Here are the part numbers, a quick google search popped these up. I have replaced one before and it is kind of a pain to get the cylinder back in there without damaging the oring. Buy 3 or 4 of them because you will ruin a couple before getting it right. Use grease on them, its a tight fit when reinstalling.

Clutch Slave Cylinder O-Ring 23.52 X 1.78 mm .......................KTM P/N 770020210
Clutch Slave Cylinder O-Ring 23.52 X 1.78 mm McMaster-car
Clutch Slave Cylinder O-Ring (oversize) 23.00 X 2.00 mm .........KTM P/N 770230020
Clutch Slave Cylinder O-Ring (oversize) 23.00 X 2.00 mm ........ McMaster-car P/N 9263K502

Hello XTSTEVE, I think last time we saw you were driving your bike back up to your house after a long day of rescuing Will with a broken wrist. Yeah long time ago... Welcome back.

there is an oring on the slave cylinder that separates the clutch oil from the engine oil. Sounds like yours needs replacing. Buy the 1$ orings, no need to replace the entire slave cylinder.

Here are the part numbers, a quick google search popped these up. I have replaced one before and it is kind of a pain to get the cylinder back in there without damaging the oring. Buy 3 or 4 of them because you will ruin a couple before getting it right. Use grease on them, its a tight fit when reinstalling.

Clutch Slave Cylinder O-Ring 23.52 X 1.78 mm .......................KTM P/N 770020210[/size]

Clutch Slave Cylinder O-Ring 23.52 X 1.78 mm McMaster-car [/size]

Clutch Slave Cylinder O-Ring (oversize) 23.00 X 2.00 mm .........KTM P/N 770230020[/size]

Clutch Slave Cylinder O-Ring (oversize) 23.00 X 2.00 mm ........ McMaster-car P/N 9263K502[/size]

Thanks a bunch for the info. Do you think you can take a look at the clutch blowup and tell me which part numbers on the list I should replace. Thanks.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/magicracing/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=ktmdb&a=197&b=37&c=0&d=-CLUTCH

CLUTCH 2003 KTM Motorcycle 525 EXC-G Racing Print Pahe.pdf

Get 24,17 and the orings i mentioned above.

19 is the bad part but you just need the oring not the piston. Pull the 3 bolts holding the slave on the motor. Pull the clutch lever and the piston will come out of the housing. Then replace the oring on it and lube it up and gently put it back in and remount the slave assembly.

Get 3 or 4 of each of the orings i mentioned( both sizes from ktm).

Dont buy 19, the orings i mentioned will fit it. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the info. I think I have got it! Look forward to another spin with you soon.

XTSTEVE