mtnmanseth

Who can weld aluminum... This week?

Turns out that I broke one of the welded aluminum tabs (or maybe it's chromoly?) that holds my silencer/pipe to the subframe on the GasGas today whilst chasing Crusty et al in dem hills above San Marcos. Problem is, I have our training ride with MotoVentures this Friday morning! Can anyone please give me a hand with the repair this week? Of course, I will supply the beer and foods (and USDs?) if we can get this done in time...

Here's a link to a photo: http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b521/mtnmanseth/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1402_zpsppds2sd6.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

Wow, you sure stepped up!

Looks like steel or chrome moly. If you don't get a better or more convienent offer drag her up to Ramona for a weld job no matter the material - Tig at the ready.

Research on whether you need to disconnect electrical stuff before hitting that, too. Arnie has access to the needed stuff and has helped a few here.

Good advice, I always disconnect the CDI and battery to be safe when welding with juice. I know it has been done but it doesn't hurt.

Thanks so much, Arnie (and Ken). Unless someone is much closer to Encinitas, I'll plan on coming to you in the next few evenings. And, yeah, I should have known that the material isn't aluminum... I was pretty tired (and still hungover from the Padres game :thumbsup_anim: ) after our canyon rip around San Marcos today! Anyway, I've checked the GasGas forum and I'm pretty sure it's chromoly. So, I'll give you a jingle tomorrow - it'll be good to catch up and I want to pick your brain about a rip-to-the-tip SD -> Cabo tour this December (i.e. best way to ship/truck bikes back, recommended route, critical gear, best beaches for bikinis, etc)...

Quick THANK YOU to Arnie and Clint for the beer drinking outing in Ramona the other night. And I seem to recall there being some successful aluminum alloy welding on a certain GasGas subframe, too. Thank you both for helping me out in a pinch. The tab has held great through the MotoVentures class, and a couple tough rides on Jamulian ST + Corral Canyon Bronco Peak loops (with a few tip-overs). I don't care what they say about about you, Arnie... haha. Cheers!

Hey no problem, glad it worked out and we had some fun to!