Sign in to follow this  
Corpic

Ca Registration

I recently got a KTM 520 EXC 2001 model it has all factory KTM street legal equipment . It was previously titled and registered W/ a plate in Vermont. I have been trying to determine if I can plate it in Ca. It has been non op since 06 and I believe it is out of the system. Does anyone know if I can get a plate in Ca. Or try another state, and or just make it a trail Bike I brought it to auto club and they said it needs to be inspected by dmv for emission and safety labels witch it does not have or have been removed or lost

Has it ever been registered in CA? If so, start HERE and go through the system. That should tell you if it's still listed and what is due. If there are back fees - shouldn't be if it was legitimately Non-OP in the system - DON'T pay them. I've successfully fought those and helped others fight them. I can help if it comes down to that.

If never reg in CA, does it still have the VA plate? If so, you can do a new to CA transfer.

PM me the VIN and VT plate if it's still on the bike. I can't access anything work related - just open source stuff, but there may be some answers I can get. Based on the VIN, you should be able to get ahold of some Fed safety stickers and emissions compliance stickers. Some hoops to jump through but I can do the Vehicle Verification Form if the stickers can be located.

I did a couple for an ADV guy who just moved in from NJ to save him from haulin' stuff to the DMV or CHP.

It has never been registered In Ca it still has Vermont plates W/ a sticker from 06 the previous owner claimed that it has been non op since then . My question is if I make a DMV apt for inspection will I be able to get a new Ca plate or will I be forced to make it a green sticker bike

Don't have an absolute answer. Depends on who you get sometimes. Look at the check boxes on the veh verification form above. It would help if you had the missing stickers.

Depends on who you get sometimes. If it's ever been ridden in CA and the PO isn't military - allowing them to keep it registered in their home state - then they had 10 days to register it here. If they don't have that exclusion and the bike's been ridden here, some inspectors might back date everything to '06 and start assessing penalties, back registration, etc.

Depends on who you get sometimes. Enter the license info HERE which may give you some facts about the registration status - not what the PO told you/claimed.

Depends on who you get sometimes. If the bike has been in storage since it got here - either back in 2006 or a month ago - it might be good to have the PO complete a Statement of Facts saying that along with a statement regarding the non-op status. I use page 2 by itself a lot.

Maybe the VT title and registration documents you hopefully got will help.

Good luck.