Sign in to follow this  
Vagabundo

Two politically incorrect, RAGING alcoholics tackle Baja!

After spending an additional, recuperative day in Bahia San Rafael, we saddled-up and headed south for San Juanico. After a quick beer in San Francisquito we flew into El Arco, turned south for Vizcaino (I love this trail!), then headed for San Ignacio for lunch. In San Ignacio we rescued several beers from a boring life, grabbed a few tacos, and took them over to Los Petates to enjoy lunch on the shore of the lagoon.

SanFrancisquito_zps77c04270.jpg

WRinsand_zps5d1e8baa.jpg

SanIgnacio_zpsbee173e5.jpg

SanIgnacioLagoon_zps2cfcaf77.jpg

SanIgnacioLagoon2_zpse2888a76.jpg

There are multiple routes from San Ignacio to San Juanico, but only one of those ranks among Baja's best. It includes high-speed sweeping turns, a few jumps, great berms, quick decision making while navigating DEEP mud bogs, and some of the most spectacularly beautiful coastline in all of Baja. Needless to say, we chose this route.

Drinkingonthebeach_zpsafd499a8.jpg

DrinkingontheBeach3_zps099000d1.jpg

In March of 2012 I rode solo the length of the peninsula and back. On that trip, while camping in Loreto, I met Chris and his dog Galleta, long time residents of San Juanico. Chris told me that if I ever found myself back in San Juanico I should look him up. So, that's exactly what I did and for the next three days Ken and I stayed in this home overlooking the coast. It was pure R&R as we ate great food, drank entirely too much, and met a lot of really good folks that kept us laughing the entire time.

SanJuanicoChrisandEric_zpsf56cf964.jpg

SanJuanicoHouse_zpse9e654c6.jpg

SanJuanicoSign_zps713c6e55.jpg

We bid farewell to Chris & Galleta and it was off to Loreto via La Purisima, the Comundu's, Baby Head Boulder Trail, and Mission San Javier.

PurisimaButte_zps68781f1c.jpg

BabyHeadBoulderTrail_zps65956a71.jpg

BabyHeadBoulderTrail2_zps17d58863.jpg

SanJavier3_zpsa9a5b71e.jpg

SanJavier_zps1af4b861.jpg

Arriving in Loreto we first feasted on pollo asado & papas. No beer, they only sell Coke!

PolloAsado_zpsf82ee886.jpg

Then checked into my favorite campground in all of Baja, Rivera del Mar. Yolanda, the owner, manages her property so fantastically that I actually look forward to staying there. Yolanda beckons the motorcyclist to come and visit her by offering an immaculate campground, full bathroom and shower facilities, full laundry facilities, and a WIFI signal that reaches all areas of the property. All of this for the price of $5.00/night. We burned two days in Loreto before taking the highway to Mulege.

LoretoCampSign_zps5ef60e96.jpg

LoretoCamp_zps67c400be.jpg

YeeChang_zps957a58d8.jpg

YeeChang2_zps8e657e00.jpg