SCHWINN

Zero Electric street bikes.

This exact Zero rode along side me today for a few miles at 80mph( Everyone was doing 80 ) in carpool lane and then excellerated away across traffic to his offramp. Had dealer plates.

2013-Zero-S1_zps077f521d.jpg

Here are my thoughts...

I ride 150 miles a day. I use on average 3.4 gallons of gas.

I do a full lube and oil once a month.

Lots of wear and tear on various motor parts and upkeep like valve adjust checks and stuff.

All these things add up to alot of money per month.

It would be cheaper to buy a electric bike?

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?&cPath=1&myCountry=223

How many charge cycles are the batteries good for? Last time I looked into building an E bicycle for commuting I was all gung ho until I found that I would have to replace the most expensive component about every 1.5 years do to charge cycle limits on the batteries. Definitely look into the battery maintenance/ replacement interval, it could be a show stopper. <_<

How many charge cycles are the batteries good for? Last time I looked into building an E bicycle for commuting I was all gung ho until I found that I would have to replace the most expensive component about every 1.5 years do to charge cycle limits on the batteries. Definitely look into the battery maintenance/ replacement interval, it could be a show stopper. <_</>

Sales guy just told me its like getting 450 miles to the gallon owning this bike. They are guaranteed for 5 years or 100,000 miles but he is saying 3 to 5 hundred thousand miles..Hard to believe.

I had a great experience with the staff and got to go back and look at the Zero's they were assembling.

I am excited about the direction electric street bikes are going.

The bike flat out flies. I rode the S model.

With the extra battery pack I was going to get 300 miles per 2 hour charge from 110 plug.

The bike was scary quick with no noise and no shifting I hit 80 in seconds.

The bike is tiny and very agile. Cornering and braking are great.

Now the bad....

The biggest and heaviest bike they make feels like my CRF on super moto wheels.

Not good for long distance on the freeway being lightweight and no windshield except for a small crotch rocket type.

The real bad....$20K and that is NOT OTD..

I'd been keeping an eye on this tech too. I had also understood the batteries would last some 300K miles. My round trip commute is just under 100 miles per day, but with freeway speeds the range on electric bikes for a single charge didn't seem to be reliable for the distance I need to cover. My employer has not been receptive to installing outlets for electric vehicles, so I have to assume that I'd need to make the round trip on a single charge. It looked like the 2013 S model might go the distance with the up-sized battery if I keep the speed down on the freeway to a bit less than what I'd normally feel safe doing in traffic. But I never met anyone riding the bike who could tell me if the real world range figures for a ride like mine were adequate.

Now that they have added the powertank option to the Zero S for the 2014 model year, this is the first time I could consider buying such a bike for my commute that could go the range and not require me to ride slower than I'd feel safe doing. Hopefully the tax incentives from 2012 and 2013 will soon be extended for 2014.

Coincidentally I've recently been splitting lanes down Miramar on the way home with a gal riding a Brahma Empulse. The bike looked nice, but I don't think it has nearly the range of a Zero.