Sign in to follow this  
Erick

Riding the road

So, I have my dual sport bike now. I need to get a license and get used to riding on the road.

Any advice? I think getting the license will be relatively simple. Especially the driving part. On a WR400? No prob.

My concern is more with what I'm getting into if I want to take quick trips to the market, etc. Other than the obvious dangers of all the Dumb @$$es on the road. This bike looks like every bit of a dirt bike with silly little lights on it. Do any of you get hassled by the police because of noise or just getting checked out to make sure you're legit? I don't have a speedometer, the speed thing worries me a little. I'm so used to letting it go in the desert. Any other words of wisdom?

Off to AAA to transfer title and get that thing registered and insured.

Erick

So, I have my dual sport bike now. I need to get a license and get used to riding on the road.

Any advice? I think getting the license will be relatively simple. Especially the driving part. On a WR400? No prob.

My concern is more with what I'm getting into if I want to take quick trips to the market, etc. Other than the obvious dangers of all the Dumb @$$es on the road. This bike looks like every bit of a dirt bike with silly little lights on it. Do any of you get hassled by the police because of noise or just getting checked out to make sure you're legit? I don't have a speedometer, the speed thing worries me a little. I'm so used to letting it go in the desert. Any other words of wisdom?

Erick

Has this been previously registered in California? If not you may be in for a surprise. Here is a link to a trailtech computer which will solve your speed issues and you will know when to service it ect. They are inexpensive and durable. :) Ken

http://www.enduroeng.com/ProductDetail.jsp...021E-1177528285

another thought for speedomoter is a GPS... you could probably use one any way, and they have a speedometer function on them...

I got mine for 100 bucks, and the thing has paid for itself many times over... I even use it in my truck

Erick

Getting a license is simple.

MSF Basic Rider Course

Our class will help you prepare for the dangers motorcyclist face every day. :) You would test on our bikes.

I have a Schwinn digital bicycle speedometer on one of my motorcycles, $8 at WalMart. Works good for the price.

I think what gets the police attention is behaving stupidly, basically potentially making more work for them by doing things that make it look like your going to hit parked cars any second. I rode an XR600 with no speedo, just an odometer for years, and basically I just kept pace with traffic and tried not to do wheelies, and I never had any trouble...or any idea how fast I was going, but visually if you fly past a car next to you, the cops automatically start watching you, that's how you spring to their attention usually, or I guess if you ride through iceplant on the on-ramp because you see a tasty dualsport route that looks cool :)

And hey, if you get pulled over and they ask if you know how fast you're going, you can (for once) say "I have absolutely no idea". Though if I get pulled over, I usually ask if it was for seatbelts :)

Quote name='tntmo' date='Oct 12 2007, 11:50 AM' post='12817']

I have a Schwinn digital bicycle speedometer on one of my motorcycles, $8 at WalMart. Works good for the price.

:):):):)

Has this been previously registered in California? If not you may be in for a surprise. Here is a link to a trailtech computer which will solve your speed issues and you will know when to service it ect. They are inexpensive and durable. :) Ken

http://www.enduroeng.com/ProductDetail.jsp...021E-1177528285

It's a legit registered bike, no problem there. I like that computer. I'm getting one.

Getting a license is simple.

MSF Basic Rider Course

Our class will help you prepare for the dangers motorcyclist face every day. :D You would test on our bikes.

Thanks for the advice Carguy. I registererd for this course Nov. 12 with motorcycle training the following weekend.