Uncle Champ

Loan people/banker?

Ok this might seem a strange place to look for a referral, but you never know unless you ask. Is there anyone here that handles mortgages, lends money, knows anyone that loans money? I would rather not talk to someone named "knuckles", but hey it may come to that.

I need to buy out my mom's husbands "life estate" interest. I would be using the house and land to secure the loan.

Call or P.M. me or answer here, any help would be appreciated.

Unc C.

I do the real estate sales side (for over 25 years) and the wife/boss owns her own mortgage company (also been in the business for over 25 years) so she is the one to talk to.

She's the smart one and I rely on my good looks.....

PM sent

The last time I refinanced, after lots of shopping for rates and fees, I used Amerimac Mortgage up in Orange County. Amerimac is a mortgage broker or originator or whatever you want to call it. I'd use them again and I can't say that about all the mortgage brokers I've dealt with. I can get you their contact info if you want to talk to them.

Depending on how much money you're talking, it might be better to re-finance your first mortgage and get cash out. Maybe a second mortgage would be better. You'd have to run the numbers.

Personal advice from me. Take it for what it's worth.

• Watch out for bogus fees. Escrow and appraisal fees should be the bulk of what you pay and it should come in under $1,000.

• Talk to several brokers and be prepared to tell any of them to take a hike (don't give them any money) until you're sure of the fees they're charging.

• Don't pay points unless you're 100% certain you'll have the loan more than 20 years or so.