Chad

FYI... Snakes! and Mountain Bikes

Wanted to give a quick head's up to ya'all. SICVIC mentioned this in a recent write up as well...

We came across a fat, 4 foot+ rattler on Ranger yesterday. He chose to post up in the middle of the trail at a spot where most would either slow considerably to navigate the rocks, or even potentially get hung up. Our lead rider had time to stop and keep about 4 feet betweem himself and the snake. Ol' boy was a bit aggravated, but moved on without incident ('cept perhaps some skidmarks that were NOT on the dirt!). Saw a couple of other harmless snakes on the trail as well.

Dirt Dame came across one as well on her ride Friday (not at Corral). They are out all around!

Reminder to KEEP AWARE! Specially in the nooks and crannies of the rock formations where you might get hung up.

Also, noted signage around Corral notifying that certain roads and trails may be "affected" or closed due to a mountain bike race on May 18th and 19th.

Safe riding!

Guest Crusty

Wanted to give a quick head's up to ya'all. SICVIC mentioned this in a recent write up as well...

We came across a fat, 4 foot+ rattler on Ranger yesterday. He chose to post up in the middle of the trail at a spot where most would either slow considerably to navigate the rocks, or even potentially get hung up. Our lead rider had time to stop and keep about 4 feet betweem himself and the snake. Ol' boy was a bit aggravated, but moved on without incident ('cept perhaps some skidmarks that were NOT on the dirt!). Saw a couple of other harmless snakes on the trail as well.

Dirt Dame came across one as well on her ride Friday (not at Corral). They are out all around!

Reminder to KEEP AWARE! Specially in the nooks and crannies of the rock formations where you might get hung up.

Also, noted signage around Corral notifying that certain roads and trails may be "affected" or closed due to a mountain bike race on May 18th and 19th.

Safe riding!

More reasons to ride Pala..coolio.gif

Sometimes rattlers won't move and trying to make them move sometimes angers them. Believe it or not I was actually followed by a big red years ago that would not give up and could move right along, finally my survey partner had enough and, well I still have the skin. I did find that throwing water on them will make them get out of the way.

Remember they can jump 3 times their length!

Happy 1st.

Unc C.

....... finally my survey partner had enough ........

You never told me you were a surveyor? :coolio:/> I've been lucky all my years of field surveying, much of the time in the wilderness........never had a bad encounter with a snake....

Sounds like a busy snake season this year.. ......I've heard the babies can be the most dangerous because they can't control their venom.....

I just found a baby rattler about a week ago in my yard. The little thing was feisty but didn't make a sound other than the a faint hissing. As my dogs started to take notice, it freely struck out 3 times and had me taking a few steps back. It reminded me to stay alert, I can say that for sure. It blended in the short grass very well considering it was maybe 10 inches long. I keep this stuff handy around the property. If there was one, there will likely be more. Keep safe.

My link

By the way, this stuff is quieter than a pellet rifle when used in a rifle and will leave only a surface scratch on stucco, wood, etc.