JohnnyAirtime

BAJA RIDE - Tecate to San Felipe (April 6th - 8th)

Hello SDAR peeps!!

I didn't put out the invite to but my email "ride list". and thought.... What if others want to join in?!

... so, here I am. Going to give you the lowdown on a ride I'm going to lead down in Baja.

I know it's late notice, but if you can take off a weekend and a Monday, and are interested... let me know asap!

THE PLAN;

Tecate to San Felipe, and back.

1 "free" day in San Felipe, to lick your wounds..etc

3 days total (Saturday - Monday), ride Saturday and Monday.

DATE;

April 6th (Saturday) to April 8th (Monday)

WHO;

Any rider capable of 25-30mph average speed.

Novices.... to Expert level are more then welcome.

HOTEL;

We'll be staying in San Felipe, at the El Cortez hotel.

REQUIREMENTS;

• A capable bike (well prepped, and able to make 75miles between fuel stops)
  • A capable rider (able to ride 200+ miles in one day)
  • Able to get you and your bike to Tecate's Rancho Ojai campground (old KOA), and home after the ride.
  • Passport - still not mandatory to cross back in, but recommended.
  • Sign a release waiver and provide full emergency contact information.
  • Able to pay a deposit (the deposit is dependent on amount of total riders)
    (which covers your hotel bed for 2 nights, chase truck fuel, chase driver pay, chase drivers bed costs, chase truck/trailer insurance, sweep riders daily ride pay, SAT phone rental, ride t-shirt, refreshments on ice and snacks, etc, etc)

CHASE TRUCK;

The chase truck is there for several reasons, and will follow the ride on pavement. Some think it's "weak" to use a chase truck, and you should "man up" and carry it all on your back. WHY? When you can ride lighter (no back pack), and have more fun! The "no chase" vehicle option is simply an unsafe adventure (in my opinion). I could go on and on about my past "real" experiences, and why I believe in always using a chase vehicle... so, we'll save that drama and go on about what the chase will do FOR you. Ultimately, the chase will carry all your overnight gear, toiletries, etc. It'll be towing an enclosed trailer that will also carry plenty of tools and some spare bike parts (ie: tires, tubes, chain, levers, etc). It will meet us along the trail in several key spots for ice-cold refreshments and snacks, and to give you a chance to freshen up your goggles or even swap them out for when it gets dark. They'll be available to carry those who have major bodily injuries or irreparable bikes. What they won't be there for, is to take you back to Tecate if you have a major meltdown (bike or person).

SAFETY;

Safety is always one of my main concerns. Not because of it being "Baja", and the cartels. But because of things like a cut to a major organ or a stick in the eye. A foot peg through a rib... etc. Even though my good friend and old race partner Steve Martz was shot in Baja (2008), on the very same trail we'll be riding (old SCORE race course)... I'm not scared of being shot, as I am of someone having an accident and the need to get help in a hurry. Steve's incident showed me just how vulnerable you are, when "in need" of help when in Mexico. Or better yet, HOW FAR FROM the good old USA and dialing 911, you really are! For that reason, I do my best at keeping safety as a main priority on any Baja ride. Myself and the chase truck will carry Iridium Satellite phones (rented just for this ride). I also carry a SPOT Connect, which allows me to communicate via text and for others to see my or the groups, whereabouts via google earth. The truck itself will also have a SPOT tracker in the vehicle, also tracking it's whereabouts at all times. I also carry an AT&T GoPhone which turns to Telcel service when in Baja and when service is available. Every rider's family will have a link to see the SPOT google page, and know where we are at any given time on a ride day. Between myself, the chase truck and my "hub" in the USA, we'll also carry all of the riders emergency contact information. If any situation arises, we'll at minimum be able to coordinate getting help. I have a strong belief that if I'm prepared, it's less likely to happen. (Godspeed Cliff Matlock).

Here is how the ride deposit breaks down;

10 riders = $400 per rider

8 riders = $450 per rider

5 riders = $500 per rider

Currently, we are hovering at 8 "paid" riders (sweeps and myself don't count as "riders" - or we have 11 total bikes thus far)

Please get back to me via Private Message if your interested. It'll send me an email, and notify me of your message.

Thanks,

Johnny

1363298668[/url]' post='146892']

Hello SDAR peeps!!

I didn't put out the invite to but my email "ride list". and thought.... What if others want to join in?!

... so, here I am. Going to give you the lowdown on a ride I'm going to lead down in Baja.

I know it's late notice, but if you can take off a weekend and are interested... let me know asap!

THE PLAN;

1 Tecate to San Felipe, and back.

2 days total (Saturday -Sunday), ride Saturday and Sunday

Thanks,

Johnny

Hey Man, if your plan ever changes to look like the above let me know. I'm all for the ride and paying for support. Just don't want to do a two day ride in three days. Much easier for me not to take off work for this. Or even if you ride down early morning and back by night. That's really what I'm, interested in. HMU.

But I've ridden down there many times so I know for first timers it would be awesome to do a three day ride and see the sites.

For all you SDAR riders who haven't ridden Mex, this is an awesome experience and sounds like a solid offer.

Have a great safe trip and enjoy the ride.

Hello SDAR peeps!!

I know it's late notice, but if you can take off a weekend and are interested... let me know asap!

THE PLAN;

1 Tecate to San Felipe, and back.

2 days total (Saturday -Sunday), ride Saturday and Sunday

Thanks, Johnny

Hey Man, if your plan ever changes to look like the above let me know. I'm all for the ride and paying for support. Just don't want to do a two day ride in three days. Much easier for me not to take off work for this. Or even if you ride down early morning and back by night. That's really what I'm, interested in. HMU.

But I've ridden down there many times so I know for first timers it would be awesome to do a three day ride and see the sites.

For all you SDAR riders who haven't ridden Mex, this is an awesome experience and sounds like a solid offer.

Have a great safe trip and enjoy the ride.

Those two dayers are far and few between these days. I tend to enjoy the destination, as much or more then the ride sometimes.

... And, this ride was asked of me from a few guys from Fresno that have attended my Cancer-Ride I do each year. They don't want to drive hours upon hours, for a 2 day Baja trip. In fact, I almost made it a 4 day trip with a night at Mike's but they weren't too interested to go up there. And as you know... We here, in Diego have it lucky... it's almost (if not) out our backdoor.

But I understand if you can't take 1 day off or away from work. A local contractor is on the fence for the same reason.

A "turn and burn" ride in one day, of 500 miles is brutal. If it was a completely different path there and back, I can see it being more fun. But.... nearly the same path there and back in one day, at 500 miles. wacko.gif And here I thought my one full day from Descanso (Pine Valley) to Barstow of 300 miles was a long day. But 500 in a day.... I don't see ANYONE doing such a thing (and enjoying it). Have you? Maybe if your training to ironman an event... but, for fun? Nutso!

And to add... on the "free" day, I talked about taking some guys to Percebu (the hard way), or to take them out for 90 miles of last weeks San Felipe 250 course. I bet most will want to take the easy road down to Percebu, or sit in town and hang out around the pool or where I'll be (if they choose to not ride that day)... Bar Miramar. cool.gif

Thanks for the props... I should have thought to post up and invite the SDAR peeps long ago. Nothing like short notice!

Hey Johnny, totally understand. I do some long rides and realize that its not for everybody. I do some Cyclocross training so it helps with the long rides. Just looking for the chase support in case.

Have a great ride, Ill keep looking for those MonkeyButts out there.

Sounds like an awesome ride. I've done a few similar rides, although it's probably been at least 10 years since I've been down south. If this ride goes down next year, make sure to post it up in advance...I definitely need a little more time to get a ride like this on my calendar.

So far.... no takers from SDAR.

Understanding that it's only 3-4 weeks ahead of the ride. A total last minute for some.

IF in the future you don't want to be notified last minute, and want to be on my "ride list" for future events, destination rides, etc... then please PM me your email, and I'll add you to my ride list. I send an email to the ride list when I know of an open invitation ride coming up, or when it's in the planning stages. Usually, plenty of notice for most who need to plan way ahead.

Let me know... send a PM, with a note; "add me to your ride list".

Maybe add your skill level (be honest), bike you ride currently, and anything else you think I should know and I'll include that in my contact information for you.