DigDug

Friday 6/29/07 Playin' Hooky Ride

The boss is out of the office!!! In other words, my wife is planning on going to Catalina this Friday with some friends, leaving me all alone( :ph34r: -I mean- :clapping: ). I'm toying with the idea of getting off work early and doing a little exploring in the Cleveland National Forest off hwy 74. I've ridden a little up there - towards Santiago Peak, and would like to poke around some more and see what else is up there. I figured this was a good spot, because I have to pick my wife up at the Dana Point Harbor at 8:00pm. I'm trying to get up there by 1:00-2:00pm, ride for 4 or 5 hours and be back at the truck by 6:00-6:30 for the 1 hr drive to the harbor.

Everything I've seen up there is relatively easy forest roads - all bigger bike/newbie friendly (those more familiar with the area can probably elaborate). Although, if there is more challenging stuff there and the group wants to, I'd be up for some of that too.

I'm thinking of staging off hwy 74 near the top of the ridgeline overlooking Lake Elsinore and riding up to the antennas - maybe explore a few of the side canyons or further along the ridgeline - depending on the time.

I'm pretty sure the boss has my weekend schedule full, so this might be my only chance for a dirt fix for this weekend...

All of this is flexible - I'm open to suggestions...

If I wind up going, does anyone want to tag along?

Okay... here's the latest plan. Due to work, I'm not going to be able to get to the trailhead until 2:00pm. So that's my rally time. I'm hoping to be turning knobbies by 2:30 at the latest. Rally point is at the dirt turnoff/gate (which I hope is open) of the Main Divide trail, which is off of Highway 74. Here's a satellite image of the area:

maindividethin2.jpg

If you're coming from the Elsinore side, I BELIEVE it's the first turnoff once you reach the top of the grade (I THINK it is). It's labeled "Main Divide Road". You turn Right (North) there and according to google maps, it's 4.1 miles. There's a dirt turnoff on the right (if you come in from the way I mentioned) and the dirt road continues south/southwest. Last time I was up there, the gate was open (a month or two ago) and the forest service website shows the road open. If the gate is closed, we can still stage there, ride some pavement to the south side of 74 and some dirt trails down in there. Maybe hit the Wildomar OHV area and work our way up the back side of the mountain. I'm going to try and be back at the trucks by 7:00pm at the latest. This parking area is inside the national forest and you'll need an adventure pass to park here.

My cell phone number is on the image (I don't like to post it as text on the internet) if you run into any problems. I'll be in the black diesel Silverado with the 450 EXC.

It'd be great to see some of you up there!!!

I was looking to ride on Friday also. If you stick with the easy routes I could maybe convince my wife to go along and possibly a friend of mine who is a newbie.

Tom

Don't forget your dive light in case you find some caves :ph34r:

[hijacking my own thread]

I always carry a flashlight - don't want to have to walk out of anywhere in complete darkness...

by the way - did you see this thread?

Check out the last two paragraphs of post #55

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showth...5073&page=4

[/hijacking my own thread]

I was looking to ride on Friday also. If you stick with the easy routes I could maybe convince my wife to go along and possibly a friend of mine who is a newbie.

Tom

I've only ridden up there once before - and from that time it all seemed like easy routes. Wide open fire roads, with great scenic views in all directions.

I think it'd be perfect for a newbie...

I just gotta get out and explore a little :ph34r:

I decided to change out my own tires to see if I can do it. I just got the rear off! if I can get both tires on I would love to go.

I decided to change out my own tires to see if I can do it. I just got the rear off! if I can get both tires on I would love to go.

The first time I changed my own tire I pinched two tubes. :ph34r: Hope you have better luck.

I haven't pinched a tube since then though!

The first time I changed my own tire I pinched two tubes. :ph34r: Hope you have better luck.

I haven't pinched a tube since then though!

[another hijack]

I hear ya there :ph34r:

I used to be 50/50 when it came to pinching tubes. I've been pretty good lately though. I think there are 2 main points there...

First, get some good irons - aluminum, the kind with smooth, spooned tips. Some even have a little "nub" to keep from catching the tube. Put them in JUST ENOUGH to catch the rim. I think all of my intallation flats were with cheap, steel irons.

Second, inflate the tube some before you put it in the tire. It'll hold it's shape better and stay out of your way. The hint I've seen is to inflate it so that it just barely creases when you hang it over your finger.

Here's a pretty got set of 3 online videos to help with technique. I had to use this twice last weekend at the Big Bear rally (once in the field)... :dance2:

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_...1215721,00.html

[/another hijack]

Hey no shift, if you live in escondido area I can help you,Im off at 3:00 today.front wheel tire problem, no problem :ph34r:

Hey no shift, if you live in escondido area I can help you,Im off at 3:00 today.front wheel tire problem, no problem :ph34r:

Thanks Schwinn I live in RB is that close to you.

Thanks Schwinn I live in RB is that close to you.

Yes,that is close,PM coming.

Where's the staging place? My rear is bald and I won't have time to mount the TeraFlex, but I might be in to join.

I posted a map/directions to the staging area as an edit to the first post of this thread (rather than bury it down further).

I don't think you'll need much tread for these roads. I've read reports of guys doing these fire roads on very street oriented tires.

Ok rear is on and holding, test ride went fine. I just cant get the front off the bike. crap I want to go.

Hopefully you and SCHWINN can get the work done. If not, how bald is your front knobbie? These are relatively easy fire roads from what I've heard, seen, and can remember - you might be ok. Although good knobs are always more fun to ride on... :ph34r:

I've still got a patched tube in my front from last weekend's Big Bear rally. I'm going to try and get it swapped out for a fresh heavy duty tube this afternoon myself...

Topic Title edited with correct date.

Thanks rad... sometimes I do bonehead things like that!!

:ph34r:

One thing I forgot to mention - don't forget your National Forest adventure pass if you're trucking/trailering up there.

We'll be "stopping to recreate" :)