Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

CA State Parks Director Resigns Amongst Scandal

This is AFTER the state took money out of our OHV Fund to help pay for CA State Park supposed deficits.

For entire article, GO HERE.

SACRAMENTO -- The director of California's state parks resigned and a deputy was fired Friday after officials learned the department sat on nearly $54 million in surplus money for years while parks were threatened with closure over budget cuts.

Ruth Coleman, director of the state Department of Parks and Recreation, stepped down, and chief deputy Michael Harris was let go amid questions about the underreported funds that date back 12 years, according to Clark Blanchard, a spokesman for the secretary of the Natural Resources Agency, which oversees the parks department.

"This is in light of the fund balances that just in the last 48 hours have come to light," Blanchard said Friday. "This money is obviously one-time money and we will be working with the Legislature to see how to best use it."

"This money is obviously one-time money and we will be working with the Legislature to see how to best use it."

Ummmmm.....pretty simple I think. Use it for the parks....?

I think if Gov Moonbeam can justify getting $3 Billion in Fed money and adding $2.6 Billion we don't have to it for a train, I'd like to ride in the areas we pay for.

Wow,

I sent Ruth Coleman an email several weeks back (Late March) with my concerns about raids being conducted on the OHV funds. My key concerns where the record of poorly managed programs and failures of leadership to work with a specified budget. My key point was that poorly managed programs should not succeed at the expense of well managed programs, and the precedent set by such actions.

Here is a quote from her response to me:

Thanks you for your note expressing concerns related to State Parks Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation (OHMVR) Division's budget. Please be assured that I support all parts of the department, including the OHMVR Program. The Revised Budget does not propose any redirection of OHMVR Grant funding, and provides the same level of funding for the OHMVR Program as last year.

I guess she may not have been aware of the hoarding or decided she would not be "caught"

"This money is obviously one-time money and we will be working with the Legislature to see how to best use it."

Ummmmm.....pretty simple I think. Use it for the parks....?

That sounds like a "No $__t" kind of solution for me also. Make them pay back those funds that were robbed first... preferably the largest robberies get precedence. When are you running for office, you got my vote!

Either way we will likely be hosed out of the OHV fund money that was stolen and it will go to the general fund were out elected officials will either squander it or give themselves payraises.

We only have a few pro-OHV representatives, we need to support them and elect new ones when they are running. It does not matter if they are Moto, Quad, SideXSide, or 4x4 people. Without our OHV funds being used for the OHV areas it starts to make sense to register out of state where the costs are lower and their funds are dedicated (and not robbed)

Ok I ranted a little. Either way, the funds should be used for the parks. I am in total agreement with Trophy.