Sign in to follow this  
amgems

Klim vs Moose

Saw the Klim Traverse at the Klim road show the other night. Very nice! But, it doesn't have the pack feature like the Moose Monarch Pass. The Moose can be rolled up into a bag and then worn like a fanny pack. I have an old one and really like that feature. The Klim quality is the best, but when you want to take it off what do you do with it? Anybody have a Traverse? Can it be rolled up small enough to be stuffed in a back pack?

I have the Traverse suit and don't think it is designed to be rolled up into a small ball. It CAN fit into a backpack, but is a heavily made product that isn't very compactable. But last year in British Columbia, after eight straight hours of rain in the 55 deg range, I was bone dry and was as happy as could be with the product. I think the waterproofing is its strong feature, which also works against it rolling into a small tight ball of clothing.

I have the Traverse suit and don't think it is designed to be rolled up into a small ball. It CAN fit into a backpack, but is a heavily made product that isn't very compactable. But last year in British Columbia, after eight straight hours of rain in the 55 deg range, I was bone dry and was as happy as could be with the product. I think the waterproofing is its strong feature, which also works against it rolling into a small tight ball of clothing.

The Klim guy was saying that you don't need to take it off and stow it. He said it can be used in 80 degree temps with the vents open. I don't know if I buy that. What's your experience with that Jim? Thanks!

The Klim guy was saying that you don't need to take it off and stow it. He said it can be used in 80 degree temps with the vents open. I don't know if I buy that. What's your experience with that Jim? Thanks!

Short answer: I live in Monterey. I haven't seen 80 deg in the year since I moved up here from the desert!

Longer answer: I believe it can be used in warmer climates, but I am one that would rather be cooler than warmer, so I very rarely ride with a jacket, and normally go with body armor and a jersey or just armor, while in the desert. So I have no practical experience with it while riding in the desert, but I think it could be warm. Sorry I don't have more specific info that you're looking for.

Jim

Saw the Klim Traverse at the Klim road show the other night. Very nice! But, it doesn't have the pack feature like the Moose Monarch Pass. The Moose can be rolled up into a bag and then worn like a fanny pack. I have an old one and really like that feature. The Klim quality is the best, but when you want to take it off what do you do with it? Anybody have a Traverse? Can it be rolled up small enough to be stuffed in a back pack?

Not sure you're comparing Apples/Apples. The Traverse is heavy enough to be used as a commuter jacket (800 Cordura and Armor Ready), where the Moose is not really road ready.

Thanks for the info Jim. I'm also looking at the Klim Stowaway jacket. It packs into it's own pack, is waterproof like the Traverse, but not as heavy. Might be a better choice for dual sport. I don't like wearing a jacket unless it is really cold (like 40ish) or it is raining. The coldest temps I've used used my Moose in were 40 degree temps with polyester thermals and stayed warm enough. From 40 to about 60 I've used the jacket with the vents opened up. Anything above that I'll usually take it off.

Not sure you're comparing Apples/Apples. The Traverse is heavy enough to be used as a commuter jacket (800 Cordura and Armor Ready), where the Moose is not really road ready.

Yes I should have mentioned looking for off road type jacket.

Yes I should have mentioned looking for off road type jacket.

I usually ride to my ride, so I'm always looking for a road ready jacket that won't make me regret having it on when it warms up.

So far... Nothing.

Motoport Kevlar Mesh breathes really well...the mesh lets air pass thru, and provides great protection.

For colder weather, you wear a liner underneath.

Motoport Kevlar Mesh breathes really well...the mesh lets air pass thru, and provides great protection.

Grassy Ass, Amego

I usually ride to my ride, so I'm always looking for a road ready jacket that won't make me regret having it on when it warms up.

So far... Nothing.

Motoport is good/great gear, I just find it a bit heavy when doing technical, small bike off-roading.

When I ride the XR400 to the dirt, I just take the armor out of my Klim Badlands and wear that. When I get to the dirt, I take it off, roll it up and strap it to my tool roll. (I make sure to run a strap THROUGH a vent hole so that it will NOT come off the bike.)