Guest Crusty

CR 500 motor in KTM conversion

Guest Crusty

People love plated 2 strokes!

Most of the newer ones are plated in AZ. not really legal here.coolio.gif

Imagine a plated KTM 525 with all the good stuff and 10 pounds lighter, more power, 200.00$ top end!!!

I think it could be done for under 5,000.00$blink.gif

Craig.

Guest Crusty

I want this build more. a 450X with a CR 500 motor.

(quote) But the KTM. comes with a plate.

NewFolder159.jpg

NewFolder143.jpg

NewFolder155.jpg

NewFolder161.jpg

Imagine a plated KTM 525 with all the good stuff and 10 pounds lighter, more power, 200.00$ top end!!!

Craig.

It's the motor and emissions that make it legal or not. I'm pretty sure CARB doesn't think the frame/tires/etc affects the environment. An AZ registered bike is legal here as long as it spends over half it's life annually in AZ. I would assume most have better things to do than run about trying to disprove that.

For me as I get a little older the magic button is one of the most important things on a bike. So if I was in the market for a plated 2-stroke for me the 1st choice would be the KTM 300 EXC. I know this doesn't have the bark of a CR 500 motor but it's still a great choice.

CiD

Guest Crusty

Craig.

# 1

It's the motor and emissions that make it legal or not. I'm pretty sure CARB doesn't think the frame/tires/etc affects the environment.

An AZ registered bike is legal here as long as it spends over half it's life annually in AZ. I would assume most have better things to do than run about trying to disprove that.

#1 Then a bike that had been re jetted would be as illegal as a bike with another motor.

#2 This is good news, I was told otherwise when I mentioned plating my 450X in AZ.

They will check the vin on the frame,it has something to do with it. I found this response on another forum. I dont know if it covers older carbureted bikes.

"If your bike has a Cat, the VIN supplied to California DMV should show it as a 50 state version bike. You may want to go to the California DMV website. It has info that may answer your questions."

Craig.

It's the motor and emissions that make it legal or not. I'm pretty sure CARB doesn't think the frame/tires/etc affects the environment. An AZ registered bike is legal here as long as it spends over half it's life annually in AZ. I would assume most have better things to do than run about trying to disprove that.

Guest Crusty

For me as I get a little older the magic button is one of the most important things on a bike. So if I was in the market for a plated 2-stroke for me the 1st choice would be the KTM 300 EXC. I know this doesn't have the bark of a CR 500 motor but it's still a great choice.

CiD

I like the 300 also, but love a fine tuned 500.

SCHWINN's friend removed his E start, to make his 300 lighter.

When I ride in a group the E start is nice, because you stop often,.

when riding alone I rarely stop.

Guest Crusty

They will check the vin on the frame,it has something to do with it. I found this response on another forum. I dont know if it covers older carbureted bikes.

"If your bike has a Cat, the VIN supplied to California DMV should show it as a 50 state version bike. You may want to go to the California DMV website. It has info that may answer your questions."

That is what I thought.

I would love to put this CR 500 motor in a 2012 450R and keep the plate.

2010BroadwayandCorralcanyon12-232011014.jpg

2010BroadwayandCorralcanyon12-232011012.jpg

Guest Crusty

Waiting to see this one complete!

Motor parts are in.

IMG_1523Medium.jpg

Craig.

It should be under $3K (east coast$)

Waiting to see this one complete!

Motor parts are in.

IMG_1523Medium.jpg

ha.. Me too.

I just finished a California plated Husaberg FE 390. Not mine..The trick is it has to start out GREEN Sticker.

Sweet ! I had loads of fun on my CR500 & lots of great memories, oh the 5th gear wheelies just by grabbing more throttle. :lol: Get some headshake in 5th & 50 or 60 mph just wick it on & forget about it.....those were the days.

Guest Crusty

Break in run this weekend.

Nice build!!!!!!!

Waiting for ride report.coolio.gif

Craig.

Break in run this weekend.

Nice build!!!!!!!

Waiting for ride report.coolio.gif

Craig.

Thanks. I'll be testing it's Hill climbing ability and should get some good video.

Also if anyone was wondering it was close to 3k for everything (Including the original cr5) The average price for a KTM roller is about 1500 so if you have a good CR motor you could do it even cheaper.

Oh...for some reason I thought this was Crusty's build.

While it looks like a lot of effort, I would bet that will be a great ride for a great price! Anza Borrego here we come

Guest Crusty

Oh...for some reason I thought this was Crusty's build.

While it looks like a lot of effort, I would bet that will be a great ride for a great price! Anza Borrego here we come

Just wanted others to see a great way to end up with an awesome bike for less money!!

I would build a plated one, if I didn't already have a RED one.coolio.gif

2010BroadwayandCorralcanyon12-232011014.jpg

I installed a magura hyd clutch. I like them much better than a cable. now to get the decomp done.

I took it for it's first real ride finally yesterday. About 30 miles of rock infested trail.

Firstly, the suspension is not even close for rocks, but I knew that going in to today I just slapped a spare 08 250sxf shock and stock 450sxf front end.

Happily even with the susp it wasn't bad in the rocks, I ended up feeling better after that run than I have on any of my other bikes.

On to the handling. It doesn't any lighter pushing it around the garage or lifting it than my RFS hybrids or 450sxf (and it shouldn't since it weighs as much) however when moving it feels lighter and more flickable.

Power wise.. what can i say it's a 500cc 2t. People fear them, honestly though after spending some time on it I have no idea why? It's a smooth power that IMHO is very easy to ride. It has instant off idle Tq, way more than my TR570 w/ a 806 cam (and i thought that was torquey) that builds quickly and signs off early. It feels strange revving it out but on the plus side you don't need to if you don't want. Vibration is noticeable above 1/2 throttle, not horrible though.

I found myself going too fast into some corners w/o realizing how much speed I was carrying, it's deceptive speed. Burp the throttle and you move faster and faster.

All in all once I sort out the suspension I think this may be my favorite new bike. sure it has down sides but overall i think the KTMCR5 is a good combo.

Guest Crusty

I installed a magura hyd clutch. I like them much better than a cable. now to get the decomp done.

I took it for it's first real ride finally yesterday. About 30 miles of rock infested trail.

Firstly, the suspension is not even close for rocks, but I knew that going in to today I just slapped a spare 08 250sxf shock and stock 450sxf front end.

Happily even with the susp it wasn't bad in the rocks, I ended up feeling better after that run than I have on any of my other bikes.

On to the handling. It doesn't any lighter pushing it around the garage or lifting it than my RFS hybrids or 450sxf (and it shouldn't since it weighs as much) however when moving it feels lighter and more flickable.

Power wise.. what can i say it's a 500cc 2t. People fear them, honestly though after spending some time on it I have no idea why? It's a smooth power that IMHO is very easy to ride. It has instant off idle Tq, way more than my TR570 w/ a 806 cam (and i thought that was torquey) that builds quickly and signs off early. It feels strange revving it out but on the plus side you don't need to if you don't want. Vibration is noticeable above 1/2 throttle, not horrible though.

I found myself going too fast into some corners w/o realizing how much speed I was carrying, it's deceptive speed. Burp the throttle and you move faster and faster.

All in all once I sort out the suspension I think this may be my favorite new bike. sure it has down sides but overall i think the KTMCR5 is a good combo.

Congrats,

Sounds like you were describing my 500.

I had a Magura hydro clutch, but it failed so I ditched it.

The decomp is worth every penny, mine starts like a 125!!!

Second outing but the first time climbing with it. I had some detonation issues I'm still trying to sort out.

Guest Crusty

Second outing but the first time climbing with it. I had some detonation issues I'm still trying to sort out.

Fuel injection.