Well, I made it back safe and sound. Probably not wisest choice I've ever made to ride back in the rain, but it was an experience...plus I was told there would be beer and single women at the end of my journey, and my Irish grandfather would roll over in his grave if he knew I ever passed on free beer on St. Pattys day.

For most the day the heavens floodgates were unrelenting, continuous downpour had me forgetting what it felt like to be dry. There was a point when I thought about selling my bike to the first farmer with 200bucks or an airplane, and chartering a flight to death valley where I would bask in the glowing sun until my body was littered with sun induced blisters. But somewhere between hypothermia and delirium two guys on gsa 1200s were headed north on the 101 and as they passed they both threw up their rain soaked arms with a welcoming wave. I doubt they could see through the curtain of rain, but amid one of the rainiest days I've ever seen, I was grinning from ear to ear. Well whoever said happiness cures everything has never ridden their bike 400 miles through the pouring rain

I eventually outran the rain only to be greeted by Poseidons fury and gale force winds that blew me across the road like those tumbleweeds you see in the movies.

I got to Calabasas gassed up, warmed up by putting my hands on the exhaust can and doing pushups in the freeway side Arco station. Must have been delirium but I swear I could feel the hot shower and taste the cold beer.

I'll spare everyone the details of the evening but I would have ridden all the way to Cabo in the rain to recreate last night.

Don't think I'll be riding in the rain anytime soon. In fact if it never rains again I won't be sad if we end up living in a post apocalyptic Mad Max road warrior desert.

All in all, it was totally worth it. A little planning would've made for a better trip but there's no feeling like heading a direction without a plan. Thanks to everyone for the borrowed gear and help.

Morale of the story: waterproofing is a rating, not a yes or no question

Where are the pictures?

Here is your route. Glad I could hand you the welcome home beer.

post-14322-054289600 1332128994_thumb.jp