After a short confab with a ham expert, I'll be monitoring the Monument Peak repeater, KA6DAC http://www.ecra.org/monument_peak at 147.240 when I'm not riding during most of the dash. You're on your own to figure out the offset and PL tone- mine's been programmed by Dug long ago.

Should be arriving at Butterfield about 4-4:30, and will have the radio on for the trip out, and before/after the ride each day. If you're a ham, can legally use repeaters, give me a shout.

Remember, in an emergency, anyone can use a repeater at any time, but you must have your radio programmed to do so- it's all done on the keypad.

Paul

wb6qwd

(yes, Ken, I know everyone will now know my address ; ) )

Paul and all DD HAMs

The ECRA repeater on Monument Peak is 147.240 + PL tone 103.5

This is NOT a simplex frequency (for rider to rider comm) it's a repeater...so when you speak you speak to hundreds of HAMs. Consult the TASMA bandplan if you want freqs for rider to rider. Good luck and have fun. I will be monitoring 147.240 off and on part of Saturday and all of Sunday.

Chad

Thanks, Chad- I should have been more careful about warning that the repeaters are for licensed hams following protocol.

Maybe you can help us further- will you post step-by-step instructions how to set up the ofsett and pl tone? The manual is such a beast.blush.gif

Thanks, Chad- I should have been more careful about warning that the repeaters are for licensed hams following protocol.

Maybe you can help us further- will you post step-by-step instructions how to set up the ofsett and pl tone? The manual is such a beast.blush.gif

I'd be happy to...I'll write this up as a doc with pics at some point soon. It's the least I can do. I have learned a lot from riding with you people.

this should be good for MOST of the Yaesu models (170,60,270) however YMMV. This absolutely works on a FT-270.

1) First is to select the input frequency. Put the radio in the mode that allows you to tune. My radio has a MR/MW button which will change an on-screen indicator from mem to tun.

2) Select the input frequency. This is as easy as keying it into the keypad or using your outer ring to select the desired frequency. In our case 147.240.

3) The next bit is to set the PL tone. This is a two-step process.

3a) First you need to enable the tone. Press the orange button labelled FL followed by #1. If it already says tone, you're done...press the talk key (the one that you push on the side to talk).

3b) Second is to set the PL tone frequency. This is what "opens" the repeater. Press the orange FL followed by #2. Turn the outer dial to select the PL tone for that repeater (find this online or in a book called a repeater directory). In our case 103.5. Press the talk key again.

4) Almost all modern radios do the offset (the plus or minus) automatically. If you're doesn't, the offset is either + or - 500 MHz. You may see a little plus or minus on your screen...that's what this is. You probably don't need to mess with it.

5) test it. You're probably live.

6) now to save it. Another two-step process. When you're have set up a repeater and you don't want to have to do it again...here's what you do.

6a) press and hold the the MR/MW button until the radio double beeps (beep beep).

6b) press and release the MR/MW button again. the radio should long beep (beeeeep).

you can also set a lock (lock the keypad) by pressing and holding the orange FL button, the radio will beep high and then beep low (beep boop) release the button and you're locked. To disable the lock...repeat this same process.

KJ6TZA