Sign in to follow this  
Dirtdiver

Big Bear training rides

Some years ago I tried the Big Bear Trail riders June organized ride. I forget what they call it. I had a brand new 2000 DRZ and wanted to do all of the hard ways. By the end of the day it had pretty much kicked my butt. That was then and now I am ready to try again. I wonder if we have the interest and the experts to put on a series of "practice" rides with the intent of having a good showing of SDAR people get a finisher's plaque at this ride next june?

Maybe we would break the ride into 2-4 chunks and try to hit a different chunk on different weekends. Analyze, ride, analyze, ride type of thing. Do all of this next spring in time for the trail ride event.

We would pretty much need a BB knowledgable person to lead the sessions. I am not that person. Maybe this should be a Crawdaddy event for more than just SDAR??

Any interest?

Steve

I wonder if we have the interest and the experts to put on a series of "practice" rides with the intent of having a good showing of SDAR people get a finisher's plaque at this ride next june?

Johnny Bags is your man.......he lives there.

Chasing the plaque is all about time mgmt and lucky breaks more than the terrain.....big bear is full of rocky jeep roads for the most part......the hardways at the Big Bear Run usually have at least one "surprise" slippery hill climb and a few water crossings.......but time is the driver.......it's a LONG day.......no time for breakdowns, photo stops, or a real lunch.....

Take a SMALL bike (500cc max), mount a rear trials tire and run it at ~8 PSI, start EARLY, steady pace, good fortune (no flats/biffs/log jams with other riders), a power bar lunch while you refill your gas tank, etc.......follow that approach and you'll be in by ~5pm with all check points behind you.....

I work the GPS table and sweep every year and I always crack up when the guys come rolling in about 9am on Sat morning telling me they're going to ride all the hardways.......good luck with that :wacko:

If you want to "practice".....focus on the north side of the Lake......White Mtn, Redonda Ridge, John Bull, Gold Mtn, etc....ride that stuff in both directions.....that'll give you a good base of exploring/riding/terrain....

I live on the desert side of the mountains, lots of great training trails easily accessed about 15 minutes from my house. Much better trails than what you would see on the BBTR events, but still good training for beater stuff.

This sounds great, I would like to go on some of these rides. Did my first ride at Big Bear over the 4th of July weekend this year with no real idea where to go. Fortunately I was able to get tracks and followed some of them. It would be fun to put the trials tire on my 525.

I rode the Big Bear Run this year on my 2001 KLR650, the f'n easy way kicked my butt.

However I'm 50 years old, am wayy outta shape, don't ride technical stuff as much as

the younger guys, so your mileage may vary.

It took me 9 hours to ride the easy way routes however that includes a 40 min lunch

stop. I could have ridden most of the hard way routes but on my KLR it would've taken

me an extra 2-3 hours.

I'd say start early and take your time.

I ride with a small group of the same people. Out of that group I am sure we would get a couple guys that would do this too. If we don't get any experienced riders to show the way perhaps we can get the tracks and wing it.

Steve

First BB training ride is tomorrow morning at 9:00am from my house in Apple Valley. Fifteen minutes from my driveway to dirt.

Hey, we need more warning than that!! :heh:

Whoops! Beautiful morning shaping up here, a little cold right now at 6:30 am, 37 degrees showing on the backyard thermometer. Thats fine, since it's going to warm up nicely today, high seventies here in the desert and low to mid sixties up in the trees this afternoon. One brave soul from SDAR is coming along, gonna ride lots of great trails that I've been fotunate to be exposed to for 30 plus years. We won't be riding Gold Mtn, White Mountain, or Redonda Ridge. Those trails are great for grinding you down for the pursuit of the BBTR plaque and BBTR does a great job with what they have to work with, but me and my crew never ride those, they are pretty much all rock and silt. Got other trails that are much more enjoyable.

Next opportunity for me to ride is Nov 10-14, I have 5 days off work, YAY!!!!

I wonder if we have the interest and the experts to put on a series of "practice" rides with the intent of having a good showing of SDAR people get a finisher's plaque at this ride next june?

Johnny Bags is your man.......he lives there.

Chasing the plaque is all about time mgmt and lucky breaks more than the terrain............but time is the driver.......it's a LONG day.......no time for breakdowns, photo stops, or a real lunch.....

Take a SMALL bike (500cc max), mount a rear trials tire and run it at ~8 PSI, start EARLY, steady pace, good fortune (no flats/biffs/log jams with other riders), a power bar lunch while you refill your gas tank, etc.......follow that approach and you'll be in by ~5pm with all check points behind you.....

always crack up when the guys come rolling in about 9am on Sat morning telling me they're going to ride all the hardways.......good luck with that :wacko:

If you want to "practice".....focus on the north side of the Lake......White Mtn, Redonda Ridge, John Bull, Gold Mtn, etc....ride that stuff in both directions.....that'll give you a good base of exploring/riding/terrain....

""" what Crawdaddy said. I left in the most important comments......time management and a good bit of prep/luck on avoiding flats, biffs and 'log jams'.

2 of the toughest obstacles are jeeps on John Bull/Gold Mt and the sheer carnage of bikes and riders on White Mt.

I'm by no means the man for 'teaching' any tricks or skills. I earned the plaque this year (with 71 others) by twisting the throttle and hanging on to the seat with my sore, tired raw arse.

13 hrs start to finish and we thought we were making excellent time (one 15 minute flat down in the desert)

I Rode the Tree Trail John Bull, Jacoby Canyon, Vista, and Deadman's Ridge 2 weekends ago and Redonda Ridge, Deep Creek and Devils Hole this past weekend.

(3 of the 6 'hardways' from this year and 2 from years past)

(leaving out only Rattlesnake Canyon, Onyx Peak and Gold Mt.)

No one section on it's own is unthinkable for someone with good skills and a bit of endurance. But put them all together in a 200 miles day and it borders on stupid.

Forestry Gates will be closed up here soon due to snow but I'm hoping to ride at least one more time this coming weekend.

DEFINITELY doing all of these trails and more come Spring time.

ALWAYS looking for riding partners

John Arelt

619-241-3268

Call anytime

I rode the Big Bear Run this year on my 2001 KLR650, the f'n easy way kicked my butt.

However I'm 50 years old, am wayy outta shape, don't ride technical stuff as much as

the younger guys, so your mileage may vary.

It took me 9 hours to ride the easy way routes however that includes a 40 min lunch

stop. I could have ridden most of the hard way routes but on my KLR it would've taken

me an extra 2-3 hours.

I'd say start early and take your time.

this coming from the guy who rode the tree trail with saddle bagz on his KLR! I was impressed! :coolio: