Vagabundo

R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli

Dear Everyone,

Not sure I've ever actually posted here, but now I'm compelled.......

I want to thank everyone "from the bottom of my heart" for all the support in the last couple days.

My heart has been heavy for everyone affected by the tragic accident on Sunday. When I say everyone, i mean family to fans. Marco was a great guy and if you ever met him, he always had a smile on his face.

Motorcycle racers are a different breed.......we know the risks and we know the "ultimate price" in fulfilling our passion.....we're all aware of it and proceed forward anyways.

For those of you worried about me and my health, my wounds will heal. I know some folks are worried because I was involved I might feel some responsibility. There was simply nothing I could do and it was a tragic accident.

If I was involved or not, I'd feel exactly the same right now......I lost a friend and the MotoGP community lost a colorful star and legend in the making.

God Speed Sic 58, you will be missed!!!!!

Sincerely,

Colin Edwards II

We are all dying of a terminal condition called life. Some choose to do everything they can to make it last as long as possible. Others charge into life, some without purpose in an irresponsible way, others on a mission to fulfill a purpose. I for one have many dangerous passions and will hopefully pass while fulfilling the desires that drive me. I don't have a wife or kids, or very many close friends for that matter. I think that having a family is a passion for most that is deeper and greater than one's need to go fast or push limits. I would say that being there for your family is the purpose that drives you, and fulfilling that purpose though it may not make you immortal through fame, will have many great rewards. Again as with any issue of perspective everyone thinks theirs is the right one, making it that much harder to see others clearly. Truth is seldom limited to a single viewpoint.

We are all dying of a terminal condition called life. Some choose to do everything they can to make it last as long as possible. Others charge into life, some without purpose in an irresponsible way, others on a mission to fulfill a purpose. I for one have many dangerous passions and will hopefully pass while fulfilling the desires that drive me. I don't have a wife or kids, or very many close friends for that matter. I think that having a family is a passion for most that is deeper and greater than one's need to go fast or push limits. I would say that being there for your family is the purpose that drives you, and fulfilling that purpose though it may not make you immortal through fame, will have many great rewards. Again as with any issue of perspective everyone thinks theirs is the right one, making it that much harder to see others clearly. Truth is seldom limited to a single viewpoint.

Yup, I wanted a long and happy healthy life. Now that I've seen my elderly parents slip into dementia and frailty, I am afraid of that sort of ending, as I am not in such great health already and I'm not even in my 60s yet. I wanted to be useful, valuable and a contributing part of society, but barring that I'll consider just having fun. :party:

Paolo Simoncelli, the father of Marco Simoncelli, expressed his family's gratitude for the overwhelming support it has received since the tragic accident that claimed his son's life Sunday in Malaysia.

It wasn't hard to see how honesty and decency passed through the Simoncelli DNA from parents to son after reading the elder Simoncelli's comments to the Italian sports paper La Gazzetta dello Sport:

"I'm happy you are here because the hardest moment will be Thursday night when everything's finished and we're left on our own," Paolo Simoncelli said. "Thank you to everyone, and I'm not just saying that. To say that I'm delighted with the way the world has reacted would be stupid, but we hadn't realized how important Marco was to people.

"He was special; people understood he was honest. Marco was pure."

Marco Simoncelli will be laid to rest Thursday after a private funeral at the church of Santa Maria di Coriano in his hometown of Coriano, Italy.

Paolo Simoncelli and Marco's close friend Valentino Rossi flew home Tuesday on the same Alitalia flight from Kuala Lumpur with Marco's casket. Italian sporting officials and fans greeted the arrival of Simoncelli's casket with prolonged, polite applause.

Massive Turnout For Simoncelli Funeral

Thursday, October 27, 2011

An estimated 20-30,000 people attended the funeral of Marco Simoncelli today in Italy. The service was held at the Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Coriano, Italy, Simoncelli's home town.

The church was filled to capacity, and was broadcast live on Italian television. Tens of thousands of fans, many of them wearing "Ciao Marco" shirts took part in the the service by viewing it on jumbotrons outside the church, and at the Misano racetrack.

The service was watched on television by millions of Italians, many of them watching it in offices and in the shops. One person described the mood of the country when the news broke that Simoncelli had been killed as "The entire country just stopped."

The Bishop of Rimini, Francesco Lambias presiding over the ceremony said, roughly translated, that Simoncelli is now in heaven "making God faster". Simoncelli's Gresini Honda RC212 and the Gilera 250 that the young Italian won the world championship on (that he slept with in his bedroom) flanked the late rider's coffin.

Giacomo Agostini, Loris Capirossi, Jorge Lorenzo, Marco Melandri and Valentino Rossi were among the multitudes who attended the funeral service. One of the many emotional moments came when Simoncelli's mother and Rossi hugged in front of the casket. Dr. Claudio Costa was also there.

As the funeral party left the church to take Simoncelli's casket for burial, Rossi pushed Simoncelli's Honda out the doors of the church.

everything is shades of grey... or gray... I can never remember which

Paul- to your point (the one AFTER calling me a moron)... you and he are just different shades of grey to the majority of the world... IF you die on a motorcycle, did you die for selfish reasons? I say "no"... part of you is the motorcycle rider. you can stay at home and marinate food in the refrigerator for days, and custom mix your spices, and repair your KTM never to ride it. and you would be safe... and a good husband and a good dad...

but that's not you... you partake in a dangerous activity, and that does not make you foolish or selfish

shades of grey- you could fall off the couch and die... odds are not the same. How many bike riders DON'T die from riding... a lot

this was a combination of a dangerous gig, bad timing, and a freak mechanical failure that they probably couldn't replicate in a lab if the they tried

I'm babbling

everything is shades of grey... or gray... I can never remember which

"Grey" if you're British, "gray" if you're not. :rolleyes: