Goofy Footer

2 (Two) Wheel Drive MX?

Am I hearing right? 2 wheel drive Honda racing in the X Games Enduro Cross? Details? Opinions?

Are these guys racing on 450s? 350s? 300s? Are these the ultimate trail bikes?

There have been numerous write ups in moto mags; in short- the nastier the trail, the more useful it is

Christini makes them for a couple different bikes... Makes them steer a bit slower and some torque steer

More maintenance obviously ... For difficult trails they supposedly climb great

Heavier as well

all wheel drive ktm 2 stroke(300?) endurocross

Yamaha (Europe) built and sold a limited edition 2WD WR450 (2-Trac) along with Ohlins in 2004. Used an oil pump driven off gearbox output to drive front wheel only when rear was spinning up to 15% of power output, not sure if any came into US. Bikea also came with Ohlins forks, shock and steering damper and was seriously expensive, not a big seller and I guess why they never built anymore and went finto full sclae production.

One of my best friends in UK managed to get one of about 30 they imported, they planned to use it as basis for an enduro sidecar but WR engine was way to slow compared to their KTM/MTH 650 2 stroke. So then they thought they would use their engineering expertise to put the 2WD kit on their MTH sidecar but it was going to be a huge job and they had just won another British championship and decided to retire so only rode the bike a few times. Then a couple of years ago somebody broke into their workshop and stole the bike and a bunch of other stuff and it was never seen again, such a shame. I was lucky enough to ride it once, definately different with heavy steering, also if you went to spin bike around on a track as soon as rear broke loose to come around the front drives and pulls whichever way your bars are pointed, easy to end up on the ground.

But definately an advantage in low traction conditions although less so on hills as the steeper the hill the less weight on front wheel anyway.

This is link for a test/review from Australian magazine.

Yamaha 2 trac

Dave and others, there was a 2wd Yamaha YZF here in San Diego, the late Marty Moates had one.

Also the French enduro/rally/ISDE rider David Fretigne actually led stages of the Dakar rally on his Yamaha Motor France YZF450 2wd machine in 02 I believe.

just found this about the Moates machine up for auction in 2010

http://www.bonhams.com/usa/auction/18419/lot/441/

By all the reports the Christini machines are solid and reliable, between all my moto magazines it was either dirtbike or dirtrider that had a long term christini honda tear down article it held up well and needed a few replacement bearings and drive stuff but overall for the beating it took over long hours it was impressive. Also the Christini is easy to disconnect the front drive for whatever reason you want/need to. (Its all mechanically driven not viscous like the Ohlins/Yamaha hydraulic dive motors)

but not much compares to this powered drive......

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=HSKyHmjyrkA&feature=email

FOR SALE

2006 Honda CRF250X Christini All Wheel Drive. Plus a bunch of other goodies....

71 hours.....$3.5K 951-522-3626 Thanks, OB

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=240156&hl=christini

He also has a 2008 KTM 250 XCW-E Christini for sale.....

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....howtopic=240155