Here are a few thoughts on the trip and the gear we used.

1) Total mileage was 2430. We did a few big mileage days of freeways through big cities (San Fransisco & LA). We will probably not do this again. We would break up the mileage or find alternate routes. We made many compromises on the route and things to see based upon priorities of time and mileage.

2) The bikes- both were BMW's. Both ran great with no issues. My R1200RT was pretty well set up with a custom seat, big windsheld, backrest, and cruise control. Zarah didn't have any of these conforts on her F650GS, and the differences were huge on the big mileage days. Both had heated handgrips which to my surprise we actually used! Several mornings on the Oregon coast got a little chilly.

3) The gear- We used a big agnes 3 person tent. Worked great! plenty of room for us and some of our gear. The sleeping bags were cheap ALPS 50 degree bags. They were warm enough but were very bulky to pack. We will upgrade to something else that compacts more. I used an inexpensive Garmin c550 streetpilot GPS. It was ok, and a bargain for what I paid for it. Actually trying to navigate by it was sometimes challenging in winding roads, but that's probably more me than the GPS. The mats were thermarest basecamp. They were ok, but I missed my sealy posturpedic from home. We used a Jetboil flash stove for our meals. It boils 2 cups of water in about 4-5 minutes, so the small fueltank lasted the whole trip.

4) The clothes- We both had Motoport Jackets and I also had Motoport pants. They are awwesome and the only complaint I would have is they don't compact down for storage at night. We stuffed them into our dry bags because we didn't have enough room in our tent or luggage.

So all-in-all everthing worked great, we didn't use any of the tools or first aid gear, and we will definitely be doing more bike campinng in the future (like Coon Creek Cabin in Sept).

WOW!....Thats what it's ALL about right there..Getting out on an adventure, and getting to share it with your special someone.. How Cool it that?.....I look forward to hearing more stories in person.....Amazing pics, and awesome write up you two..love the equipment shake down too!!

Now I'm NOT a big fan of street riding, but you just made me think more about it...because that looks like a great vacation.......been playing with the idea of an adventure bike?....just maybe?? Thanks for the inspiration....

WOW!....Thats what it's ALL about right there..Getting out on an adventure, and getting to share it with your special someone.. How Cool it that?.....I look forward to hearing more stories in person.....Amazing pics, and awesome write up you two..love the equipment shake down too!!

Now I'm NOT a big fan of street riding, but you just made me think more about it...because that looks like a great vacation.......been playing with the idea of an adventure bike?....just maybe?? Thanks for the inspiration....

Deb, check your e-mail for some ride reports, you'll be buying an ADV bike soon enough... ;)

Mistress of the Dual, nice ride report! I remember you telling me about your plans for this trip when we were at Desert Dash. Glad you had a great time!