Sign in to follow this  
Glenn L

High Desert Trail Ride 12/19

The good stuff, lots of singletrack, 4000 to 5000 ft elevation, winding through Pinyon Pines, Joshua Trees and Granite formations. Ride spot is about 15 minutes from my house in Apple Valley. Intermediate level terrain and pace. 50-60 miles, 5-6 hours away from the trucks, on the bikes by 9:00am. No dualsport needed. All welcome.

Glenn

Glen: Sounds perfect. Thats exactly the kind of riding I love. I just checked the mileage from home 168 miles & approx 3 hours. I would love to make it but too far for me for 1 day. Thanks for the invite though.

Dusty

Hey Glenn. I might be able to make this one. What is the weather looking like up there? You riding rain or shine? It is supposed to rain all weekend.

We're obviously watching the weather up here. Rain is a deal breaker, a bit of scattered sprinkles no worries. I'm seeeing 40 to 60% chance in the foothill area, less on the open desert. I'll have to make the call on Saturday, it's way too far to drive for a rain out. I have a friend that comes out on occasion from San Elio/San Marcos area and it takes him about 2 hrs 15 minutes on a good day to get to my spot.

If rain is too much for Sunday we'll head out to the desert. The closest open desert riding is 20 minutes north of here in Stoddard Wells but it's beat and we don't ride there.We ride desert at an epic spot we call Copper City Rd., north east of Hinkley between Ft Irwin and Barstow. Bout 50 minutes away for us but way too far for a day ride for most San Diego dudes, although KKug did it once. The day Ken came out last year was carzy freakin windy so he got a less than ideal ride.

Any way I'll toss out a weather report on Saturday afternoon and make plans based on that. If we get rained out, I'm off work from 12/23 to 1/3 and can squeeze in a couple rides during that time frame.

So did this one happen?

Yep, but we moved it from Apple Valley to our spot between Barstow and Ft. Irwin, just to freakin windy at home with 40mph winds.

What a difference 45 miles northeast makes. Great wet chocolate cake dirt, no wind at all, partly cloudy skies.Sixty miles of singletrack, we saw no other humans,got dumped on with rain when the storm finally moved in about 2:00pm, but we were only 15 miles from the truck. Double Doulbles and fries at In n Out in Linwood warmed us up on the way home.

Next ride 12/26, dualsport from my house to the good stuff.

Hey Glenn - I'd like to join you on the 26th. Wish I had known about the last ride as I was itching to get out - wind, rain......bah....no worries!

I see you don't post your rides on TT anymore. I frequently check TT for upcoming rides but rarely come here and saw your ride too late.

- S