JohnnyAirtime

DeLorme PN-60W w/SPOT (excellent product with life-saving features)

I've been posting about this on TT... http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902252

I continue to use, and love my SPOT device.... Now, they've come out with a newer unit (SPOT2 - which I traded in my SPOT1 for at REI), and even a tad larger device with more functionality. And quite a bit more spendy at MSRP of $550.00;

Check it out Baja Riders and Drivers;

pn60w_spot_NEWEST_alt.jpg

DELORME PN-60W WITH SPOT COMMUNICATOR COMING SOON

Quote:Thursday, 24 June 2010 11:58

DeLorme PN-60w with SPOT Communicator, in a word: Revolutionary. SPOT & DeLorme have teamed up to bring you the future of GPS. Use the PN-60w with SPOT Communicator to send custom text messages via satellites to your contacts. Even send Check-in/OK messages to Facebook, Twitter and Geocaching.com with a link to your GPS location!

These new “Type & Send Messages” are just one of the myriad of features that will undoubtedly fuel your desire to blaze new trails, explore more then you ever have before and tell about it in a 40 character custom text message. Also new, is the ability to organize your messaging with up to 10 contact groups in your online profile at findmeSPOT.com.

Go ahead and explore where you have never gone before! If you need them, loved ones and rescue teams are just a text away. General availability of the DeLorme PN-60w with SPOT Communicator is expected in July at DeLorme Authorized Retailers.

SPEC'S, PRICING, FUNCTIONS and MORE HERE ---> findmespot.com/DeLorme

delorme_pn60.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

I bought a SPOT1 directly from Spot back when it first came out. Soon after, I bought a backup from REI (originally for a friend, who backed out on the buy). I called REI who had the SPOT2 in stock, and was able to return the 2nd SPOT1 ... and directly exchange for the newer SPOT2 device which I've been using for awhile now. And NOW, that the DeLorme PN-60W is out with SPOT messenger, REI will allow me to return my SPOT2 for full credit and upgrade to the PN-60W with Spot. Not only that, but REI is the cheapest on the PN-60W in all of the USA at $369. My out of pocket, will be about $220 to obtain the new PN-60W w/SPOT.

... I still will have to add SPOT service ($150 with tracking), and pay for the additional GPS Maps if I so desire (above and beyond topo for the GPS itself). But for $370, I step into a GPS and a SPOT device with text messaging. Heck-of-a-deal.

SPOT doesn't allow transferring currently active SPOT accounts over to the DeLorme device just yet, only SPOT1 to SPOT2 or SPOT2 to SPOT2 for example. Nor will they pro-rate your account if you have pre-paid for that year.

BUT, who'd a thunk that REI would be the place for such a purchase?!

... hope that helps.

On that PN-60W w/SPOT messaging;

There were some thoughts as to how it worked, and what kind of communication it needed. I recently found out that the SPOT puck device, communicates wirelessly with the GPS... but, if the GPS is out-of-batteries and dead... the SPOT will still work, just like a SPOT1 or 2 device. It only loses the ability to txt message (being the GPS is the keypad for the messages). So why not be able to buy only the puck (since it is considerably smaller than the SPOT2), and use it as with SPOT communication and buy the GPS in the future if so desired?! I've got a call into DeLorme about this... and they mentioned that I could buy a "replacement" for my 'kit', which would cost me $149.95. But when I pushed, and asked if I could buy only the SPOT Puck... he balked, and said that more than likely not (I'm assuming I'd need to show proof of owning a PN-60)

Here's my thoughts on the unit thus far;

... after playing with the GPS portion of the purchase for the past night, it seems like I've been overly spoiled with using Garmin and Garmin Software. The DeLorme Software (Topo9) is not as easy as the Garmin based (Mapsource), and it's a serious learning curve. Definitely, not for the "PC Unfriendly" types.

The very positive about the software is that you can easily load your GPX files and use them in the DeLorme. So saving a file in Garmin language (specifying GPX) and uploading it to DeLorme's Topo9 software is a piece of cake. The sad thing however, is in Garmin... your "tracks" can be up to 20, each with 500 points each. In DeLorme, you can only have one track, but of 20,000 points. The way around only one track in the DeLorme, is to upload many map "projects" so it seems. Confused yet? I surely am!!

I opted for a cool feature on the DeLorme mapping, which is to be able to upload Digital Maps (or really, "images"). Those maps are high-resolution, just like you'd see in Google Earth. So say your going to ride into the abyss, and you want to see what it looks like... load it on the GPS, and see for yourself once you get there. Pretty nice feature for those who don't have roads or trails on the GPS (as in Baja or other unmapped territories), but you can see them on the Digital Image. This way, you can route yourself out of a bind, or out to safety if possible. The bad portion of this is, you have to rely on DeLorme's server to be up and running and the internet to download those images BEFORE your trip. I'm pulling my hair out right now, being the site has been down for 4 days (over the Holidays) and I can't even upload my neighborhood to see how good the resolution is. Not cool for us impatient types.

So in reality, the GPS isn't much good to me. Mostly since I'm not familiar with it and how it works with the software. I'll still retain it for use with the SPOT puck, and being able to send txt messages. AND, as a backup to my primary (Garmin 60CSx). Not too convenient however, with an additional electronic device in my vest.

I will say, the SPOT portion of the package is nice.

... The actual unit, it's a tad smaller than the SPOT2 in diameter, but a tad thicker in depth. Overall, it'd be about the same 'bulk' on your shoulder or wherever you plan to mount it. The best part of this is the SPOT can be used without the GPS if necessary. However, you lose the ability to send txt messages and your restricted to what type of messages the SPOT will send. As it will only send SOS messages (or 911 per the older SPOT configuration). Another nice touch, is you can send (TXT) messages to a specific person or group. No need to send a canned message, to the entire group which was your only option on the SPOT1 or SPOT2.

A bad thing, is if you have SPOT1 or SPOT2 service currently... you cannot transfer it over to the DeLorme SPOT device. You'll have to purchase a new year of service. Also, each TXT message is $.50 ... or you can buy packages of txt messages. For the amount I'll txt (which hopefully isn't much), I'm going to pay as I go... rather than buy a bundle.

I'll continue to play with it, and see where it takes me. But at first glance I almost just put it back into the packaging and returned it. I need to learn patience, and take the time to learn this product before I "judge" it or be so critical.

*stay tuned for more info*

I'd have to agree with you Jeff, that the GPS itself is a bit "cheap" in the hands. However, the buttons seem like they'd hold up better than my Garmin60 due to the fact they are hard plastic, and not silicone (which breaks off after time, and brushing against chest protectors).

I dislike the smaller screen, and it's hard to see if you ride and look down at your GPS. This is why it'll be my backup, in my pack and I'll retain the Garmin60 on the bars.

I too would love the ability for the Android Market to come up with an APP, just like the page on the GPS, for sending and working with the SPOT "Puck". All it takes is a programmer, and some time... and it'll be done. When that happens, I'll surely sell this PN-60W and use the puck as I did my SPOT2 just with the ability to send texts. But, I wasn't going to wait for that to happen... as it may never. I needed this ability sooner, than later.

UPDATE:

The DeLorme "Online Map Center" is back online, and I was able to download Digital Globe images. I did the area by my house and was VERY impressed with the resolution. I could see the vehicles parked out front, from when the satellite took the image. Similar if not the same to Google Earth (for something to compare it to). It did take a long time to download a small area, and I can only imagine if I was to do a 700 mile destination ride and wanted all the areas around my path... it might not be doable. We'll soon see, as I will try to see what happens if I download in the highest of resolution (I have more than one choice of resolution maps to download).

I also noticed that the GPS records the SPOT tracking and SPOT 'messages' waypoints each time SPOT sends out a track point or message. Pretty cool to see what the people would see on the SPOT Share Page, and to know it's communicating. With SPOT1 or SPOT2, you just hope for the best or have to call into someone with internet and your share page link to see if it's working or not. A gamble at times. With this device, you can see it on your GPS screen. I do think the GPS has to be on, for it to record all of your track points. And this might be a problem if your on the trail ALL DAY long, and your GPS is on batteries. Something to consider. But I will be testing that as well, just to cure my curiosities.

The GPS allows screenshots too... thumbsup.gif

I attached a screen shot of a single SPOT 'check in' waypoint, and the view zoomed out on a digital image. I moved the cursor, to show it and the location arrow.

screencap-2010-12-02--11-20-59.bmp

When I first got into offroad riding, I bought the Delorme PN-40 since you could put sat imagry on it. Well, after trying to use the software, I quit and bought a 60csx. The software for the Delorme has a few big drawbacks:

1. Steep learning curve that I just couldn't get over

2. Windows only, and I'm a Mac guy. Yeah, I tried the Parallels thing, but it was too much of a PITA.

3. Software way too capable. Yeah, I know that sounds stupid, but there is so much capability, I couldn't learn the basics.

The Spot integration is drawing me back. Awesome capability, and if I get more serious and look at any solo riding, I might have to switch back if Garmin doesn't come out with something similar. If only it were Mac....or could be easily learned....

When I first got into offroad riding, I bought the Delorme PN-40 since you could put sat imagry on it. Well, after trying to use the software, I quit and bought a 60csx. The software for the Delorme has a few big drawbacks:

1. Steep learning curve that I just couldn't get over

2. Windows only, and I'm a Mac guy. Yeah, I tried the Parallels thing, but it was too much of a PITA.

3. Software way too capable. Yeah, I know that sounds stupid, but there is so much capability, I couldn't learn the basics.

The Spot integration is drawing me back. Awesome capability, and if I get more serious and look at any solo riding, I might have to switch back if Garmin doesn't come out with something similar. If only it were Mac....or could be easily learned....

Just own both...blush.gif it's where I'm at. A Garmin user through and through, and now learning DeLorme