Are you speaking of this target?

http://maps.google.c...037894&t=h&z=15

If so, the signs are well South of Imler (old rock house road) by 9500' (1.8 mile radius or more) into camping areas like "the dip", and all around through the mud hills, and over to pole line. Per most my maps, that's well into BLM land... or are the maps wrong, and the Navy owns it all out to the signs (even South of Imler - Rock house road)??

And I thought the small Cessna type plane was their "target clearing" eye in the sky (for that target)?

... I know that the Old Rock House rd is no longer maintained, but that doesn't keep campers, RVs, and ATV type enthusiasts from using it. And it's MUCH closer to the above linked range then seems safe (less than a half mile at it's closest point (or within skipping distance of 2100' !!).

Either way, that range used to be used with the 'unmanned' buggy/vehicle too... for gun practice. To the most Eastern side of the range, where it could be seen from the East Tower where Imler turns into Huff. I've not seen them use guns for a long time, nor that unmanned buggy. Similar to the one they test with at at Point Loma on Seaside (beyond NOSC military gates).

Johnny,

Yes, that is the "Shade Tree" or Target 101 range (I have no idea how they came up with these names). You are correct that the signs are well south of Imler Rd (I assume the same as Old Rock House, but I'm not familiar with that name), and do define the northern border of "The Dip", and go into and around the mud hills. You are correct in that it is all legally BLM land, but is withdrawn from public use for DoD. There are many maps that are incorrect, but the WECO map is consistent and accurate. While there are some tiny jagged edges that don't reflect on the WECO over in the mud hills and some near Sups, that is only because they are too small to depict on that scale of map.

You are also correct that most of the Imler (the dirt portion off Huff) is not maintained and is part of the range complex. It is an ongoing issue with campers and security. In fact, the range actually extend SE of Huff/Imler (paved). All of the new signs are GPS accurate and also match up with the Imperial County property markers in the ground.

There are no aircraft that fly around and clear the range separate from the aircraft that are training.

There is an area up near the target that is cleared and used with remote controlled buggies. They are only used when there is a specific training requirement.

Just for the heck of it.... We all know to stay OUT of these two ranges too;

Furthest West of Soops area (laser guided site) and East of the Train Tracks ... both included "restricted" on the WECO map.

Yes, this is the "Loom Lobby" or Target 103 range. The trail next to the tracks (WECO Trail 085) is the one that you can travel on all you want as long as you keep moving. Same one used for the Desert Dash this year. As Pasta said, hard to see non-moving vehicles/bikes/people, and the dust really helps. If you look at the first map, you will see the trail south of the target that runs east/west. This is where the guy setting up a pit for the MDR race was hit last year. There was two steel posts and a cable blocking access near the train tracks, but it was pulled down. Usually is as soon as it is repaired. People just don't understand the risk. Continual fight.....and a guy almost paid with his life.

The second target you list is not an active target, but is within the range boundary.

Both T101 and 103 are now well signed and posted. If you have any questions on them, please feel free to PM me and I can fill you in on everything. You would be amazed at how much private property is out at Sups. Most people don't even realize and ride it, but then again, property owners don't enforce it either. Even if they try, any fencing is torn down, just like at Jar Head hill on the south side of Sups. Hell, there is even a big chunk of Superstition Mountain that is private!

Bottom line is that the BLM WECO maps are a very good reference, but I've seen many other maps that are way out of whack.

Pasta... I didn't know you weren't familiar with that area.

... I grew up riding just down the road from that "range", and ... someday, I'll have to tell ya some stories (not here of course!).

Jim... good info, and glad to have you clear it up.

... I refer to the "rock house rd" as sometime ago, there used to be a rock house out the dirt road... just before it turned to wheeler. In fact, wheeler.... never made it up as far as the rock house back then. And back then, there was a hill that was more or less "competition hill" at the rock house, climbing into Soops. I remember my dad trying it on his '70 DT250... and not making it. Sure wish I had pictures from those days.

And the WECO map shows all those private land areas. Pretty crazy. I never knew, and have ridden out there since I was about 8yrs old (early 70s).

And JAR HEAD hill... that should've been leveled LONG ago! Who's responsible for allowing the hill to be built, movie made... and the hill to remain? What purpose does that serve, other than to make a spot for more accidents. Ever gone over it? There's holes on the backside waiting to swallow you up. However, It made for a great spot to catch some great AIR recently... I had to uphold my nickname somewhat. coolio.gif

And I hear ya... where there's a fence, there's some goof ball who wants to see whats on the other side!! I hate vandals, or the disrespectful types.