Sign in to follow this  
Jon O

April 9-15

Anyone up for some moderately easy rides the week of April 9 to 15?

I've been riding in the dirt since I was 12 (I'm 42 now) in all kinds of terrain from mud swamps (where I grew in Minnesota) to Jeep trails going over Mountain passes in Colorado to some of the easier dirt roads in Baja, and have done some vintage motocross racing at Carlsbad Raceway (RIP). But for right now with the KLR having some street-oriented tires on it, something along the lines of Boulder Creek, Nate Harrison Grade, or Bear Valley Road is about my speed - but what I'd really be into is someone showing me some new roads in North County, south Orange County since I live in Oceanside. I'd even be into exploring some "suburban" areas like any dirt roads in Carlsbad or San Marcos.

I just like to motor along and take in the scenery on my KLR. Rocks don't bother me as long as it isn't on a long, steep downhill. Rock trails are something I think the KLR is pretty good at, I just don't feel real comfortable joining a ride involving deep sand or other riders wanting to haul butt on smaller dedicated dirt bikes with lights like KTMs or DRZs.

Is the Palomar Divide Road doable on a KLR with street-oriented tires?

Anyone up for some moderately easy rides the week of April 9 to 15?

I've been riding in the dirt since I was 12 (I'm 42 now) in all kinds of terrain from mud swamps (where I grew in Minnesota) to Jeep trails going over Mountain passes in Colorado to some of the easier dirt roads in Baja, and have done some vintage motocross racing at Carlsbad Raceway (RIP). But for right now with the KLR having some street-oriented tires on it, something along the lines of Boulder Creek, Nate Harrison Grade, or Bear Valley Road is about my speed - but what I'd really be into is someone showing me some new roads in North County, south Orange County since I live in Oceanside. I'd even be into exploring some "suburban" areas like any dirt roads in Carlsbad or San Marcos.

I just like to motor along and take in the scenery on my KLR. Rocks don't bother me as long as it isn't on a long, steep downhill. Rock trails are something I think the KLR is pretty good at, I just don't feel real comfortable joining a ride involving deep sand or other riders wanting to haul butt on smaller dedicated dirt bikes with lights like KTMs or DRZs.

Is the Palomar Divide Road doable on a KLR with street-oriented tires?

Palomar Divide would be fine with dual sport tires, maybe a little slippery on true street tires. PM me if you can ride during the week. I also have a KLR and live in Oceanside too. I remember riding all the trails in the hills between Escondido, San Marcos and Oceanside back in the late 80's. I'd be happy to show you around... :unsure:

The ‘Killen Trial’ is quite nice and goes out of Fallbrook to Hwy 74 where you can then take the ‘Main Divide’ trail all the way up to Corona if you want to make a longer day of it…

I would sure be up for learning some local trails. I am in Vista, and usually drive a long ways to ride. Many trips to Ocotillo, Ocotillo Wells, yesterday was Pine Valley as is next weekend. I usually spend at least 50 bucks in gas in my truck to go riding, since my ass wont take the DRZ that far on the freeway. Any way I would like to hook up sometime and ride some local trails. I don't know what your schedules are but I can usually get away for 4 or 5 hours Mon Tue or Thurs from around 10am to 2pm, other than that it is the weekends. Ken

Very cool! Looks like there's a couple of you that are into some North County riding. I'll post more, PM you as the dates get closer (I have that week off for spring break - high school teacher).

I'm going to get some Dunlop 606s on my KLR soon, but the Dunlops I have on there now are just so much fun on the twisty pavement.

Does anyone know if any of dirt roads on Pendleton are permitted these days? Probably not I'm guessing.

Very cool! Looks like there's a couple of you that are into some North County riding. I'll post more, PM you as the dates get closer (I have that week off for spring break - high school teacher).

I'm going to get some Dunlop 606s on my KLR soon, but the Dunlops I have on there now are just so much fun on the twisty pavement.

Does anyone know if any of dirt roads on Pendleton are permitted these days? Probably not I'm guessing.

in the next weeks i will be going riding on the main divide truck trail and would love to show it to you. watch for my post regarding cleveland national forest. i most likely will go next sat. and probably the week after that too. watch the informal rides section. regarding pendleton, i know nothing about onbase,however there is a mountain that you can climb(margarita peak) on a bike. just east of pendleton. post-633-1173677354_thumb.jpg