Sign in to follow this  
kellymac530

New York City

Just checking to say BYE for a few days....I and the family are heading to NYC for 8 days!

We are really excited. Non of us have ever been to NY before.

As most of you know i am a devout Christian man and an active minister. Our headquarters of the Jehovah's Witnesses is in Brooklyn NY, and we have a writing and reasearch facility in Patterson NY in up state and a printing facility and farm in Walkil NY...We are touring each of these facilities over a couple of days and doing alot of sight seeing.... Dinner at Carmine's in Time Square, dinner at the Boat House in Central Park {yes the one from 27 dresses, i live with 2 women} Ellis Isle, Statue of Liberty, Broadway Show, Bryant Park {again 2 women}, and about every other tourist thing we can do...

I do NOT have internet on my Phone and we are not taking the laptop computer, so i think i will be out of touch with all of you. So while I am on vacation, YOU ALL get a vacation too...from me..

Traveling with my neck problems is gonna stink for sure but my Daughter is dying to go and we have been planning this trip for a year now, so i will deal with any added pain and smile the whole time watching her enjoy seeing the big apple...

Im sure i will post up a few pics and a little report when i get back....no motorcycles per say, but good family and spiritual times non the less....maybe i will sneak in a few shots of east coast bikes..

Any way, see you all in a week or so, i will check in if the hotel offers any computer services where i can check emails and such..

Thanks

Kelly Mac

No computer services, so you all got a nice kmac free week :lol:

We had absolutely amazing weather for mid to late October in New York City. We spent friday driving thru upstate and the leaves have turned and the colors were beautiful. Kinda cold in upstate, mid 40's but that was still just refreshing and crisp.

All week in the city, we had NO rain at all, and barely even some light drizzle on a morning or 2.

Our week involved hundreds of miles on the subway, I figured it out pretty quickly and we never got lost or even turned around on the subway. The only mistake i made was early on before i figured out how it worked, we accidentally got onto to an express that didnt stop at our destination so we had to double back on the next train. It was only about a 10 minute delay and we learned a quick lesson.

We ate some great food, Lombardi's was great pizza, Carmine's in Time Square had great Raviolli, Spaghetti w/meatballs, and Lasagne. Monty Q's in Montague street in Brooklyn Heights had my favorite pizza, pepperoni w/meatballs on it, wow great cheese too. Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory was excellent with a cool ambiance right under the Brooklynn Bridge. Katz's Deli had a great pastrami on rye. H&H bagel recommended as a MUST...dont bother, didnt think it was anything special myself, I have had way better.

By far the best meal we had was at the Loeb Boat House in Central Park, wow fantastic food, and the setting and service was outstanding. My daughter was very excited, they sat us at the exact same table that Catheryn Hygal sat at in the movie 27 Dresses.

We saw a Wed. matinee of West Side Story at the Palace threater on Broadway in Time Square. And just sat and people watched, The kids ALL loved the Toys R Us in TS...

My daughter shopped her butt of but didn't kill me too much, she is awesome that way.

Took a few pics of some New York motorcycles i will post later, but the coolest bike i saw there was a HD dyna glide that was all bobbed and looked really cool, I DID NOT happenn to have my camera with me at the time....sucked.

It was awesome to see everything there, and we were really glad to have the opportunity to see all of the religious aspects of it that we did, just faith building to see the labor and time that goes into the printing of Bibles and related liturature...

There is definately a Funk and odor in many parts of the city, that made me appreciate the rural southern california air and much more natural scents and less crowded, congested feel of oour area here.

Hobiee,

Sorry about your Yankees...we were in a Lounge Bar in Brooklyn watching the last game of the Texas/Yankee game. The guys i was with are Texas fans, so that was kinda fun and daring to be cheering for anyone BUT the yankees while in NYC...we had a few harsh comments from accross the room when ever we would cheer....we did wait until our food came before we sounded out though just for our healths sake..

Pics to come....

Awesome, i'm stoked you had a good time. I really miss the city and the food droooollll. I have eaten at every place you mentioned and it kinda took me back for a few remembering the streets and the smells and the peeps. I really need to get back sometime soon as its been way to long. Amazing city there is just no place on earth quite like it. Imagine if we could ride central park????? hahahhah. Need pics so i can see if they are keeping things in order back there.

As for the Yankees, well they were outmatched from game one, Texas was simply the better team and deserved to win. Cannot win them all but we will be back.

Central Park would be a blast to ride thru! That was a great night that we we walked thru parts of CP and had dinner in the boat house. We could NOT believe the amount of joggers in CP on a Thursday night. We would get passed by HUGE groups of joggers the whole evening, we thought we were in the NYC marathon a few times.

The people you see in a big city like NYC were the best! As long as you are not intimidated by ODD people or scared by wierd locals, you can get a lot of entertainment from watching people.

When we were walking back thru CP on our way home from dinner at the BH at about 10pm we saw this guy jogging, he was in running shoes, gym socks, DOLPHIN SHORTS, a TANK top, A LIFE PRESERVER {yes a life vest}, a HELMET {like a skateboarding helmet}, and a FULL military old school style GAS MASK....GREATEST SIGHT EVER..

Then we were going into lower Manhattan on the subway, i think it was the "R" line at like 34th street, and we were like 5 staircases or escalator flights deep under the town. As we came around a corner and saw our 4th flight of escalators there is this really grubby bum putting hand sanitizer on ONE finger and rubbing it in with ONE other finger. I am cracking up, my daughter rounds the corner and says "man how deep are we?"...the grubby, FINGER santizing bum blurts out "ahhh shut up"...we start cracking up...

We saw a rat walking down the track on the 2/3 line and a mouse walking beside him (no it wasnt a small rat). The subway is always interesting, you could be sitting between a bum and a wall street mogul wearing Bruno Magli shoes and an Armani suit and straight across from a full blown ghetto looking ganster...and everyone just staring at the wall or floor for the most part.

As a group we started seeing if we could get people engaged in conversations on the subway, just to see if we could. It was a blast. We got a few people laughing on the train and started some conversations that grew into most of the people around us talking and laughing together. One Jamaican guy gave us all hugs and said we could stay with him the next time we came to NYC, after 20 minutes of talking to him. AWESOME fun to see if we could get people to step outside of their comfort zone.

I saw way more scooters than motorcycles. But on the last day there i saw a group of Dual Sport guys riding past our hotel on the way to the Brooklyn Bridge...most of them were on klx650s but some were wearing the biker style non dot helmets, kind of an odd mix to me...lol

But the smells....man NOT ALL of them good in NYC....parts of it had a piss and vomit thing going on :wacko:

Over all i was VERY comfortable with the feeling of safety in almost all of the areas we went to or thru. NYC has had a pretty rough reputation, but it really seem like they are trying to up its reputation, and we all felt comfortable the whole trip. That may have been partly because of my growing up in south central L.A. in the Gardena, Compton, Carson area which is REALLY rough and very culturally diverse, so i am comfortable with diverse nationalities and cultures.