Andy

CDI unit for 87 XL600

Well, I took the bike in for a diagnosis becuz it was more economical to pay a shop with all the right equipment than to order all my own stuff and do it on my own. Turns out that the hard-start issue likely turned into a no-start issue in the form of a dying (and then completely dead) CDI unit.

I know those CDI boxes get really finicky as they get old, so I guess it's not all that surprising that a 20-year-old unit died. I ordered the new part after seeing the readings (multimeter) that the shop had for the dead one, according the manual it's definitely dead.

So hopefully this will correct the problem, the new CDI box should arrive early next week. The shop wanted another 30 bucks to install it, but that's kinda ridiculous considering that the thing just slips into a rubber boot and has one plug connector. I'll save that 30 bucks and take the ten seconds to install it, thanks :angry:

Well, I took the bike in for a diagnosis becuz it was more economical to pay a shop with all the right equipment than to order all my own stuff and do it on my own. Turns out that the hard-start issue likely turned into a no-start issue in the form of a dying (and then completely dead) CDI unit.

I know those CDI boxes get really finicky as they get old, so I guess it's not all that surprising that a 20-year-old unit died. I ordered the new part after seeing the readings (multimeter) that the shop had for the dead one, according the manual it's definitely dead.

So hopefully this will correct the problem, the new CDI box should arrive early next week. The shop wanted another 30 bucks to install it, but that's kinda ridiculous considering that the thing just slips into a rubber boot and has one plug connector. I'll save that 30 bucks and take the ten seconds to install it, thanks :angry:

Good it's been identified, CDI's (capacitive discharge ignitions) can cause allot of headaches! In the next few years Honda is going to ECU's and fuel injection on all of their bikes, it should make a great product even better!

See you on a ride!