kellymac530

Street Helmet ?

Most of you know im heading to the streets right now.

When my BMW gets here i want to have my stuff ready to go.

Im looking for a new street helmet. I have been looking at the modular helmets. Or maybe a Fullface.

I already own an open face helemt that is comfortable, but i want something with full coverage....

anyone own a modular? do you like it? pros/cons?

Any other suggestions on good street full face helmets?

also, anyone have some nice touring boot ideas? brands or styles to stay away from? brands to look into?

This is the only kind of shopping i like....bike stuff!

There is a good review of modular helmets in the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. You might want to chase it down and have a read. Based on the reviews, I'm thinking of getting a new helmet for street riding. Hope that helps.

Any other suggestions on good street full face helmets?

also, anyone have some nice touring boot ideas? brands or styles to stay away from? brands to look into?

This is the only kind of shopping i like....bike stuff!

I don't skimp on helmets ( or any gear for that matter). For me a matter of few hundred dollars is noise in the data when it comes to being in a crash and protecting myself. I only buy Arai and Shoei helmets. They both come in different shell shapes as well as different sizes so it's important to get the right shell shape for your noggin. From Arai's website:

The Importance of Arai's Different Interior Shapes

No one pays more attention to the subtle variations and infinite possibilities of the human head shape than Arai.

And even though we know we can never build a perfect shape for everyone, we go to the extra time and considerable expense in a genuine effort to offer interior shapes that allow more people to find a better, more "natural" and comfortable fit than they can get from a helmet line that offers only one shape for their entire line.

This is why it's important for you to understand all the different aspects of sizing as they apply to helmet brands, models, and, in Arai's case, different interior shapes.

Understanding Interior Shapes

After many years of listening to riders, we have found that real helmet satisfaction depends on understanding how a helmet is supposed to fit. Most importantly, understanding how proper fit affects helmet performance and satisfaction during everyday riding, and how that comfort depends on the helmet's interior shape. This is why Arai has gone to the considerable effort to design, create, and offer different interior shapes. (Arai doesn't believe that real comfort can be achieved by trying to stuff every different head shape into a single helmet interior shape.)

In order to offer the most comfort, a helmet interior must fit snugly around the entire head contour. (This is partly determined by a firm, even pressure felt at all contact points around the liner perimeter, with no pressure points that could become uncomfortable in the future.) Note that having a previous helmet of the same brand, model and size - even if it's an Arai - may not offer the same fit as a current model or size because the evolution of design and use of new materials can affect the final design and shape.

Attention must be paid to the fit of the model's shape around the crown of your head - and not with facial fit. (The part that is contacted by a baseball cap's band, for example, is the crown) Cheek pads in all Arai helmets can be replaced with a size that better suits your facial structure, so the possible need for different cheek pads should only be addressed after the crown is properly sized. All too often, tight OEM cheek pads will result in purchasing a helmet one or even two sizes too big - in effect sizing the face and not the head! The end result will be a loose and noisy helmet, as described above. (Riders with a strong jaw or heavy cheeks should first remove the cheek pads completely in order to not be distracted in determining crown fit.)

Determining Your Interior Shape

How can you determine which of Arai's interior shapes is best suited for you? In general, our interiors for the North American markets have an oval shape orientation (somewhat longer from forehead to back of the head or front-to-back and a little narrow from ear to ear or side to side) because most heads tend to be oblong as opposed to round. Our different helmet models vary slightly based on that general Oval shape to accommodate a much wider fit range.

LONG OVAL

(Very Long front-to-back, very narrow side-to- side). On this end of the scale, we have the PROFILE model, offering additional forehead room for those who find that most helmets have pressure points in the forehead.

LONG OVAL HELMET MODELS

INTERMEDIATE OVAL

(Shorter front-to-back and a little wider side-to-side than the Long Oval). This fit package begins the shift from oblong towards round.

INTERMEDIATE OVAL HELMET MODELS

CORSAIR-V

CLASSIC/m

SZ/m

SZ/RAM-III VECTOR

VX-PRO3

XD3

ROUND OVAL

(Even a little shorter front-to-back and a little wider side-to-side). This fit package is represented by our Quantum-2 model.

ROUND OVAL HELMET MODELS

QUANTUM-2

Some folks says ,"I have an Arai-shaped head" which isn't really meaningful. You have to specify which model Arai (or Shoei) as well.

I suggest going to Cycle gear since they have many makes and models in stock so it's easy to find the right shape/size for yourself.

For street boots I've tried on several different makes/models. I always end up going back to TCX (formerly known as Oxtar). Many of the BMW street boots are made by TCX and are practically identical (and more expensive).

For retailers I buy stuff at Cycle Gear if I can because they understand the concept of "lifetime customer" and they're customer service reflects that. When you buy a helmet from them you can take home and wear it arounf the house for several house to see if it fits. If it doesn't fit and you have not worn it riding, you can take it back for a full refund. I've done that on two occasions. Cycle Gear can get you practically anything from their distributor even if they don't stock it. Every few months or so they have 10% or 20% off anything in the store sales so I figute what helmet/etc I want and then buy it when they have a sale.

http://www.araiamericas.com

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/

http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/

http://www.cyclegear.com/store_locations.cfm?State=CA

HTH

Helmets

I have a Shoei Multitech modular, Bell Star, and the Scorpion EXO900. The Shoei was too large after I lost a bunch of weight, and the Bell is light but noisy. I prefer the Scorpion (MCN choice). It's a little heavier than the Bell, but is the quietest of the 3 and it fits the best. It also has the nifty air pump thing.

I had a track low side get off wearing the Bell. It took a hit so I replaced it. Other than not being able to speak Spanish, I was fine - Of course, I couldn't speak Spanish before the incident.

I later had a spectacular high side wearing the Scorpion. I took a pretty good thump, but walked away mostly unscathed. The Scorpion was replaced.

Boots

I bought a pair of BMW All Arounds when I bought my R12R. They are really comfortable, waterproof (I'll ride anywhere in any weather), and protected my feet during my incidents. They did get pretty dinged up during my high side, so just bought a pair of SIDI's B-2 Gore Tex.

The SIDI's cost about $100 more, and have seen no water yet, but definitely have more hard protection than the BMWs.

though Arai was one of my big mmoney sponsors in SBK racing, and I own a few of them. For street riding I bought my girl the high end Scorpion, and I must admit it is a good helmet light, well constructed, and having borrowed one for myself once, fairly quiet.

Love the input. thanx.

I was at cycle gear for an hour just before i posted this thread, that is where the questions came from.

wind noise was one point i wanted input on. are the modulars quiet? what are advantages of a modular? i dont smoke or talk on the phone while riding so im not sure i need the modular, but if others have advantages in mind i would like to hear them....

note to self-check out scorpion helmet next and TXC boots and BMW boots....where is the nearest BMW dealer? escondido or riverside....

;)

I wear a Nolan N-102 modular. I think it's a little heavy and not the most quiet helmet out there. I don't have the bluetooth accessories, but I do have speakers wired in for my IPOD. I use the modular-flip feature all the time. When I ride in really hot weather, sometimes the Beemer has too much wind protection and I start to cook. I can drop the windshield to the lowest position and flip up the lid, giving me more airflow than can be had vs just using the faceshield.

I'll echo what somebody else said about Shoei and Bell... my Bell was loud; lots of wind noise.

My Shoei was pretty quiet, very comfortable and quality... Of course, it cost $500

I have since started buying HJC street helmets, and, other than not crash testing one, I have no issues with them whatsoever... WAY cheaper, not QUITE as plush as the Shoei but fits about the same.

Regarding where you buy- I get my street gear from Cycle Parts West, as I started visiting them when I lived a block away. Now that I know what size helmet I need in each brand, I still buy from a shop rather than the internet. I want the local shops to stay in business, rather than having a bunch of penny pinchers use them for size determination, then running out and buying on-line. Not sure why that bugs me, but it does

For boots... meh... I'm a hack... over the ankle work boots. If I rode track, I would spring for a good pair of boots

though Arai was one of my big mmoney sponsors in SBK racing, and I own a few of them. For street riding I bought my girl the high end Scorpion, and I must admit it is a good helmet light, well constructed, and having borrowed one for myself once, fairly quiet.

Steely, what model scorpion did you think was quiet? exo 400, 700, 750, 900, 1000?

Im looking for a stocking dealer for TCX boots...i have been looking at the X five goretex model but i cant find any stocking dealers in the area...does anyone know somewhere that has a selection.

I have ridiculously finiky feet. I am VERY particular on shoe and boot fit, so i really need to try them on...i just cant buy shoes or boots online

thanx in advance

Im looking for a stocking dealer for TCX boots...i have been looking at the X five goretex model but i cant find any stocking dealers in the area...does anyone know somewhere that has a selection.

I have ridiculously finiky feet. I am VERY particular on shoe and boot fit, so i really need to try them on...i just cant buy shoes or boots online

thanx in advance

Kelly,

While this doesn't answer your question, Cycle Gear has a no-questions-asked policy on returns. A fall-back position would be to order the boots from them and if your feet don't like them, you get your money back.

HTH.

thanx in advance

Kelly,

While this doesn't answer your question, Cycle Gear has a no-questions-asked policy on returns. A fall-back position would be to order the boots from them and if your feet don't like them, you get your money back.

HTH.

Have you tried on the bmw all around or pro touring?

I have tried on the Astars and 3 types of SIDI's and none of them felt great to me. I can not find a stocking dealer for TCX boots...the more i read on these the more i wanna try out the X5 goretex model.

Does anyone know of a shop that stocks these boots.

I need to stop by a BMW dealer and check out their brand as well.

thanx for all of the input.

and BTW yes i do like cycle gears return policy. I bought a pair of A stars tech 2 shorty boots to use as a run around DS boot. I absolutely hated them. I wore them twice and they still took them back for a full refund. good customer service on that deal.