KTMrad

Loud Pipes Discussion

but see Kelly (other than the obvious teen agers with brass horns and my talking too much) you are still assigning a level to "how loud" is loud enough.... which is what the existing law is, if I'm not mistaken

I agree with you (other than the brass horn and my talking)... pick a level, and expect people to follow it... there IS an assigned level, and a V Twin with straight pipes is NOWHERE close to it...THAT is what started the political mumbo-jumbo of stickers on exhausts...

:lol: you said to "ban me".... BOOOO B)

i never said that there shouldnt be some sort of reasonable limit.

its just frustrating to see such double standards...neighbors haveing screaming loud parties till 2 am and the cops say sorry nothing we can do....

some knucklehead in a dodge cummins or f350 with 6" exhaust billowing black smoke, so loud it is pain to drive next to him, harleys with straight open pipes that make even a loud pipe fan cringe, and then people pick on a ds bike with a stock exhaust with just the little plug popped out, or my led turnsignals that wont break on every small jump, or any of the other miniscule things that make my bike safer and better in the long run....just frustrating to get picked on for 98db or whatever my bike is...maybe it is my last rebellion..."kinda" loud pipes....piss off :D

I don't think anybody got pissed off... I sure didn't... I even did a smilie or two... that's how you know I'm not pissed off.... plus; it's the innernets. I NEVER get pissed off on the innernets

like you said: discussion.... offer a lot of viewpoints, and let everybody decide mine is right... easy ;)

Just to be clear. In 1979 the EPA has set a mandate of 83 DB for on road exhaust noise. Anything higher is illegal and can be fined. I cannot think on any manufactrer who sells an exhaust that is louder than that from the box (otherwise it would not be EPA legal)

Also, diesels may smell bad (to some people) but they actually are environmentaly superior to vehiclis runnin mogas.

that may be true on diesels in stock form, but not true of these knuckleheads who use the bullydog/superchip etc...programmers dumping huge amounts of fuel and billowing smoke are NOT clean running....

the signs on hawthorne blvd say 92db max..which almost all aftermarket exhaust barely make if they do...stock exhaust might make 83 db but i guarantee flowmaster/dynaflow/gibson/rbp etc...do not make 92 let alone 83 db....neither do the hueys/cobras/apaches and blackhawks that fly over my house daily....nobody says anything about that stuff...but heaven forbid my dirt bike trip 93db at full throttle and im worried im going to jail and or my bike to impound? :blink:

im not sure what kind of choppers they actually are btw...whatever they fly out of pendalton...chinooks maybe...we get some huge twin rotor ones alot that make a thumping sound that rattles your house and leave a giant black trail as they pass by.

im not picking on the military here guys...it is just the double standards that get me.... <_<

maybe i got screwed up by 40 years of mx racing...but i ride by ear and feel...i hear my motor hit that rev point coupled with just that buzz in my seat to know when to shift before the rev limiter hits in...i am not saying i need an fmf power bomb wide open pipe at 104db but low 90's on the db is reasonable....and this bs about a muffler HAVING to have a stamp from the factory....what about cars...that better mean ever car on the road also must have a factory exhaust under it at all times...

does anyone here own or work at a muffler shop....that would kinda suck for you ehhh :huh: