Yesterday I went to the Demo day (Thank you Brent for the pass).

They had 5 different models (2-3 bikes of each model).

150SX (2 stroke)

250SX (2 stroke)

250SXF

350SXF

450SXF

There were a lot of people there. The line for each model got very long quick. We were told at sign up we could only have two laps per model. Are you kidding? 2 laps! Disappointing. How can you determine anything in 2 laps? But, with all the people I guess they had no choice. Yet, no one was monitoring this. I thought about going a few more if I liked the bike, but then thought about how sucky it is to stand in line in the heat waiting! I stuck with two laps, though many did not!

Anyway, the shortest line at 9:15am was the KTM 250 two stroke. So, I started with that. And just like the last time I rode a KTM 2 stroke, it scared me. This thing has so much freaking power. I felt like I was going to loop out everywhere. SCARY! Keep in mind I really don't know how to ride two strokes (though I loved Mimi's KX250 when I rode it once).

ktm2stroke.jpg

The next bike was the 350. This is what I really came for. After waiting about 20 minutes for this one, I have to say I was disappointed. Right off the bat the levers were all wrong, the handlebars all wrong, the suspension all wrong. I was uncomfortable to say the least. The power was great but it seemed to vibrate a lot. So, in two short laps I came away with nothing on this one. But, in all fairness, if the bike was setup for me it would probably be a completely different story. I will need to try that one again.

KTM350.jpg

Next was the 450. I jumped on this and immediately loved it. I was totally comfortable. I loved the power and the handling. It was so smooth. I actually had a really fun two laps on this one. Jumped everything right off the bat with ease. The best bike so far. :(

KTM450.jpg

I wasn't too thrilled to ride the 250SXF, but I was determined to try them all, so again I waited. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. It was comparable (almost) to my YZF250. So, it was also fun.

Last of the bikes was the KTM150SX 2 stroke. This line was the longest due to demand and the fact that they only had two bikes instead of three and people were definitely going more than 2 laps. Most people loved this bike. I obviously don't know how to ride it. Not much power here but then I guess I need to rev it more. I felt like I might not even get over some of the jumps. I have a feeling this bike could be real fun if I KNEW HOW TO RIDE IT.

So, there you have it. My two cents about all the models.

I would have liked to see some seating, shade, and water out there for the riders waiting in line. I was sunburnt and over it by 1:30 pm. But, overall, I had a fun day! Best part is that I did not have to load up afterward!

I hope to be able to test the 350 again soon at my own track.

is that the 350 with fuel-injection and linkage rear suspension, like Mike Alessi is racing in the outdoor series?

Thanks for the props Christy. And thanks for comming out to ride. As for my imperssion. I was not impressed with the first 350 I rode either. But the second one was set up a bit different and worked very well. I as well was more impressed with the 450. What a well rounded machine, felt plated and very predictable. Oh yah HUGE power! :party: For me though, I came away wanting a 150 SX. That machine is a rocketship. If any of you grew up racing 125ers, or enjoy "tiddlers" than you will very much enjoy the 150. As Christy said you will need to get in tune to how to ride it, but once you figure out what gear, and when to be in it.......look out! SO SO SO much fun. Look to see me on one soon. Not impressed with the 250 two stroke. Felt a bit lacking in the bottom, and I had to ride it hard to make it work well.

I closed out my ride day ( monday ) on the 250sxf. And well...... now I know why those who race them have so many issues with keeping them together. You have to ring it's neck just to get it to go. But this is comming from a guy who rides a 450 all the time. All and all I am imperssed with every bike I rode in one way or another. I think most of us would have more fun on the 450sx. Even though all the new SX ( only ) four strokes have linkage, I think the 450 has the best all around package for the average ridder. And all that without fuel injection. :good:

See ya all soon

BC

is that the 350 with fuel-injection and linkage rear suspension, like Mike Alessi is racing in the outdoor series?

yep that is the one...ktm only makes 1 350 model right now

Yep, that is the one. In fact, the test bike I rode was one of Allessi's practice bikes.

You'd have to wonder why they test ride a bike that is set up for a pro...

I know it would feel all funky to me, too...

I was hoping the 350 would have "enough" power from the 450 and "enough" light feeling from the 250