TrophyHunter

2001 DRZ400S New purchase

Well, after a 7 month deployment, my son thought it would be a good idea to join in the DS activities. He bought Kelly's DRZ and is ready to go. Just need some advice.

We have the following on the list already.

Skid plate

Case guards

It has handguards already and the usual stuff is in place...desert tank, etc. Looking for specific to 2001 DRZ fixes. Kelly mentioned filing the inside of the shifter as it's sharp and could puncture the case easily. Things like that is what we're looking for. Bike has 15,000 road miles on it. Bypass kickstand switch? That kinda stuff.

Thanks in advance....I'll do some reading but it would knock time off if the colective wisdom here could nail down a few.

you got some of them;

dremel the brake lever

case savers

skid plate

desert tank

14-47 re-gear for dirt specific work

3x3 air box hole and replace needle spring

re-jet to "burned" spec

lock tite fixes on numerous things: cs sprocket one of them

Let me look at mine and see what I forgot

(IF I can ever get time off from bands/work/family to see mine again)

congrats- FWIW... I would hold off on the lowering links... Morgan rode mine all day without them fine, and he is shorter/younger/weaker

Thx for the help. Yeah, he's 5.6" with shorter legs than mine (if that's possible). I can get my toes down and that's it.

the gel seat drops about 1 inch from the bike

I have some lowering links I will make you a great deal on.

Thx to Joliet for the lowering links. Took care of the inseam challenge.

Danny got his permit Weds & has been riding some back roads...'til today. Bike quit running..started...overheated...stopped...limped to the sister's house. Foamy oil & oil leaking out of the top of the cylinder.

Head gasket? I didn't check the radiators but the overflow is empty...pressurized all the coolant out?

It's over an hour drive to jump into this with him so he's on his own with it for now (especially with mother's day weekend)

foamy oil, or milky oil?

If it's milky (you may have to wait until it cools) I would guess that... bummer

If it cools, and it starts again until hot, you may check your valves... I had that happen once

Why do you think it was overheating, if there is no liquid in the overflow? Is there no liquid in the system anywhere? That would lead me back to head gasket, or some other leak in the system

Where does he live? I may be going up to North county tomorrow, and maybe could stop by and make fun of you behi... I mean take a look at it for him

PM sent. Thx. .....and there's nothing you'd call me that he hasn't already.

was there white smoke too? if the oil is "milky", meaning contaminated oil then, possible water pump issue?? i think it's a common thing..

something i found

i'd def change the oil tho for sure...just to make sure it's good to begin with...

Blind B)

dump the oil... add radiator coolant for aluminum engines, (and oil...duh)

Make sure to "burp" the radiators... check the oil again after running

The water pump issue blind mentioned is not rare in DRZs... if that is where he sprung a leak, it is better than from the head gasket in my mind. Don't bother trying to fix it; just buy a new one and install with the RTV fix in place

also the obvious... water hoses, and the radiators themselves... can he take a picture of the oil in a pan?

He'll be checking this thread today and following advice. Appreciate the input.

k, oil is milky, leaking oil from valve cover area. He'll be digging in today & checking this thread. Coolant was down about half in the radiators.

He's in N County (currently O'side). Bike has 15,000 miles and he'll be checking valve clearance etc as he goes.

k, oil is milky, leaking oil from valve cover area. He'll be digging in today & checking this thread. Coolant was down about half in the radiators.

He's in N County (currently O'side). Bike has 15,000 miles and he'll be checking valve clearance etc as he goes.

I have got valve shim's over at my shop, if he needs them. I also have a manual if needed. If it is dirty, have him pull the gas tank and wash it first, so he doesn't get dirt falling in the motor. Maybe it will be just a head gasket. Call if you need anything. Ken