Sign in to follow this  
CVRick

used garmin gps map 60 cx

I just bought a gps , map 60 cx ,Iam reading how to use it. I downloaded the owners manual. I called garmin about buying A new cover for the screen and they told me to send it to them and they would fix it for $110. Ipaid $5for it second hand so I don't want to do that . does anyone have Asuggestion where I might be able to buy A cover for the screen , or if I really need this cover? It has the screen under the cover and it is not damaged. Thanks

If I am reading this right you are saying that the outer clear part of the case is scratched but the screen that is under it is fine.. The outer screen acts as protection for the actual screen and protects the internals from dirt and water so I don't think it would be wise to remove it.. I agree that $110 is steep for a case replacement but a new one goes for $250 so it may be worth $110 + shipping to get a basically new GPS..

Did they mention is the $110 gets you any type of warranty.

yes it is the outer screen cover . I will call and ask about the warranty.

polish it...there are those kits to polish your lexan or plastic headlite covers back to clear and shinny. im sure it would work on the lexan/plastic screen on your gps.

i would take some blue masking tape and mask up the entire unit except for the screen so any flinging polish or moisture doesnt get into it. then polish away. i think all it uses is a drill motor and a polish ball and some special compound and polish made for plastic.

i think it would be worth trying before i spend 110 bucks.

if the 110 bucks is a full service or factory reconditioning on the unit that is not too bad.