Sign in to follow this  
Marbee40

Looking for a good Dig Camera

Howdy gang,

I'm looking for a good quality, DURABLE, digital camera. Don't need SLR type camera, but I do want HIGH quality pix, with the option to upgrade storage capacity. Don't care for bulky, but would like to have a decent zoom rate, so some lens is okay. Finally, as mentioned above, I need something that won't break on the first drop and that might be water resistant. As we say here at work....SEABEE PROOF!

Jim

Howdy gang,

I'm looking for a good quality, DURABLE, digital camera. Don't need SLR type camera, but I do want HIGH quality pix, with the option to upgrade storage capacity. Don't care for bulky, but would like to have a decent zoom rate, so some lens is okay. Finally, as mentioned above, I need something that won't break on the first drop and that might be water resistant. As we say here at work....SEABEE PROOF!

Jim

Jim, good luck finding a "tough" digital camera. Maybe they make some special ones that will take abuse, but don't think you can find it all in one package, like you're looking for, without spending hundreds to thousands.

I suggest, for the best photos, a Kodak DX6490...(they now have an upgraded model with a different model #). It has a german lens, high quality.....as my friend Brett said, "it's not the megapixels that makes the digital camera, it's the lens". The Kodak has been durable for me, I just make it a point not to drop it. It rides in my tankbag, in a ziploc bag, so I don't worry about waterproof. Most of my photos posted here have been taken with this camera. You can get them new, on the internet for about $300, I think it's the best buy out there, due to the lens and 10 Power Zoom.....which it great for scenery and action shots !! It also takes videos, and takes "quick mode" action shots.....about 8 shots in a few seconds....great for more action shots.

As Randy said, the Kodak is better that you would think due to the German Schneider lens, which is 12X on the new model. I also believe the new one is either 5 or 6 megapixels rather than the 4 that Randy and I have. Has other new and improved features as well. Costco carried it for around $300

The higher the pixels, the better the image is recorded. So a 10 megapixel camera will record whatever image you give it very well. Give it a poor image, and you'll have a perfectly recorded poor image. The lens and image quality are more important than the pixels.

Brett

Howdy gang,

Jim

SEABEE PROOF? who ya trying to kid, we can break anything!

This SEABEE uses a Pentax Optio wp, I haven't broke it yet. It is class 8 water proof. That means ok to 1.5M, so rain or a couple of splashes wouldn't hurt it. I got the 1g mem stick and so far it is a good digital, up to 5mp with 3x zoom.

The only bad thing is, I noticed some small scratches on the lense from carring in my pocket. Not SEABEE Proof.

All of my post came from it.

John :D

Carguy John :) : I know NOTHING is Seabee or Marine proof, but I gotta ask! :D

I'll get off my buns and start looking this weekend (payday!). I've got a 3700 mile trip to AK coming soon and I'd hate to miss anything!

All, THANK YOU! Feel free to keep the responses coming as I like to research a number of camera's. My little Sony videocam S*CKS! Takes GREAT tape video, but the pix and dig video are HORRIBLE! I should have researched a bit more before buying. That's why I'm asking.

Any other responses will be greatly appreciated and I'm sure another poster will eventually ask the same thing.

Jim

Batteries....

We just bought my wife a Sony somethingorother 8meg camera. We did not do enough research before we bought it though....... Daughter has a Sony, and me too for that matter, but something to think about is Batteries.....

It always a bummer to pick up the camera only find out the batteries need a charge before you can take that perfect picture. Daughter's Sony takes regular batteries. Something you can change in a moments noticeand carry with you. (Nice when your on the road). While ours you must keep recharged all the time.

Just saying.....

Spyder

its a plus for us also that memory cards can be shared between all our Sonys.

I believe camaras are like motorcycles... it is either really good at something (eg road or dirt), or half in between (some of the enduro bikes we ride).. I have used my Pentax Optio 4 (4 years old) which I always carry (it's so small it fits in an altoid box). Mine is only 4 megs because it's old, but the new ones are probably 6 megs. Mine takes some time to shoot the picture, so if I'm trying to get an action shot, it's frustrating because it takes a while to take the picture. That happened to me when I tried to take CT3 picture of when he was falling from his kawasaky KLR 650... The good thing is that it's so small, I always have it with me. If I wanted better pictures, I would probably get something bigger with better lense and a good zoom 12X. Digital zoom is terrible, the quality is no good. My zoom is only 3x as most typical small camaras. It is just like my Husqvarna TE450, it does a great job in the dirt, but not very good on the road.. that is why I plan to get a second bigger bike for the longer rides... I also want to get a second larger, bigger lense camara, for when I want to get better pictures... this is my opinion.... :D