Sign in to follow this  
motoxusa

Suzuki DRZ400S

I recently purchased a 2004 Suzuki DRZ400S. After riding motocross for years, and getting a few to many bangs and bruises during the last few years, I decided to stop racing and start doing some off-road riding. I read all of the reports about dual sport bikes, and finally decided on the DRZ400S. I wasn't real sure that it would have sufficient power to haul around a 200 plus rider, but the reports indicated that it had plenty of power for someone that wasn't interested in breaking any speed records. They were right, it does have plenty of power for this old man. Not what my Honda CR500 had, but enough.

It's not too bad on the rode as long as you don't go on any extended trips. I find myself standing up now and then to get the blood flowing. It cruises along nicely at 70 an hour (will exceed 100), which is plenty fast. It does get a little wishy washy if a big rig flies by you, or you get too close to the back of one. I was also caught in a bad thunderstorm and was almost blown off the highway. Definitely not a cross country road cruiser, but it will get you from trail to trail very nicely.

Speaking of trails, my first venture was on a sandy road, and I will say the Trail Wing tires are not made for deep sand. I've since installed Kenda K670 Trackmaster II's, and it makes a world of difference. They are DOT rated so you can also use them for the street, but they are a little shaky on the road, and I would hate to make a panic stop on wet pavement. The suspension is very soft, in fact too soft for me, even though I haven't bottomed out yet. I think some stiffer springs are in order. The electric starter is a blessing, especially compared with having to kick my CR500. I do wish that it had a kick starter on it, just in case of an emergency. I would hate having to bump start a 4-stroke. The DRZ400S is certainly built for tall people, which is no problem for me at 6'5". Smaller riders will struggling to get both feet on the ground. The gearing is a bit tall for off-road riding, so I've changed to 14/47 sprockets, which work well. It limits your rode speed to about 70, but that's fine.

All-in-all I'm pleased with the DRZ400, but haven't tested it on any big hills with lots of rocks. That would be the ultimate test. I would recommend the bike for someone that loves off-road riding, especially dual sport riding.

Let's hear from some other riders. :ph34r:

Sounds like a good choice!I had a buddy who rode a lot of dirt, and his brand new KLR wasn't up to the task. He swapped it for a DRZ and he much happier... though he mentioned that he missed the additional horsepower when on the street!I'm pushing around the DR650SE off road... at 320lbs dry, it's a handfull, but I've got 220lbs to push it around with! Since I ride 80% street, the DR makes sence to me, but if I found myself off road a lot more, the DRZ would be my first choice as well!Cheers!

I have the DRZ-400E dirt only version. I was able to sneak in the window of time when the DMV changed the Red sticker status of the bike.It is geared much lower than the S version and has more power to boot. In 2000 it had adjustable suspension front and rear whereas the S version didn't - though I hear that the S and E versions now share the same suspension components.I'm 200 lbs also and it pulls me along just fine. Per my GPS it hit the rev limiter at 81.6 mph or 86.1 mph I forget which.I have a Yosh full pipe on it and air snorkle has been removed and it's been rejetted.I'm really pleased with the bike for playing in the dirt. For street riding, well I avoid that with this bike as much as I can.Having ridden 750 and 1000 cc sportbikes for the past 25 years, when it comes to the street any dual sport bike is better than walking - but just barely :-)Daryl

I've owned two drz 400's. Here's the easy set up, 3.5 inches sag, drill internal baffle 6x's with .25 in. drill, run a 160 main jet , remove snorkle on air box. The stock suspension is way to soft for even 165 lbs. get stiffer fork springs- do this ! best is to take it to precision concepts.

Guest stevensyanora

Sounds like a good choice!

I had a buddy who rode a lot of dirt, and his brand new KLR wasn't up to the task. He swapped it for a DRZ and he much happier... though he mentioned that he missed the additional horsepower when on the street!

I'm pushing around the DR650SE off road... at 320lbs dry, it's a handfull, but I've got 220lbs to push it around with! Since I ride 80% street, the DR makes sence to me, but if I found myself off road a lot more, the DRZ would be my first choice as well!

Cheers!

WORD :D the 4oo is to mousey for my bulk and theres not enough power But it is a good bike and Im glad your happy with it