Sign in to follow this  
SteveO

Borrego Badlands exploration Wed 12/16

I'm going out to the Borrego Badlands tomorrow. I have never ridden there and I'm pretty slow in the sand, so you've been warned.

The plan is to stage at Blow Sand Campground on 78, arriving at 9:00 and ready to ride at 9:30.

I've used some tracks posted by SDAR members, plus Google Earth and the AB park map to create a loop ride that starts up Blow Sand Wash, then Goat Trail, Borrego Mtn Wash, Cut Across Trail, Tule Wash, Arroyo Salado, Ella Wash, Short Wash, Fonts Wash, Inspiration Wash, Borrego Sink Wash, Buttes Pass Rd.

Weather on Wed is forecast as 57F at 9:00, rising to 70F in the afternoon, with the day partly cloudy to mostly sunny.

Those of you who have been there, feel free to offer advice. My first question is, is there a day use fee to park at Blow Sand Campground? Another question, how can you turn a Garmin track into a route?

Steve

My first question is, is there a day use fee to park at Blow Sand Campground? Another question, how can you turn a Garmin track into a route?

Parking is free.......

What are you trying to accomplish with the track(?)......you can use the "trackback feature" on the tracks setup page if you want pop-up screens to indicate turns and/or if you want to know the distance to the end of the track.....

My first question is, is there a day use fee to park at Blow Sand Campground? Another question, how can you turn a Garmin track into a route?

Parking is free.......

What are you trying to accomplish with the track(?)......you can use the "trackback feature" on the tracks setup page if you want pop-up screens to indicate turns and/or if you want to know the distance to the end of the track.....

Thanks, Chris. I know that I can trackback a track, but I now have a combination of routes and tracks for this ride and I wanted them to be all routes. Because the tracks are "off-road", I can't just create a route that follows them without selecting every single point on the track.

Steve

Parking is free.......

Thanks, Chris. I know that I can trackback a track, but I now have a combination of routes and tracks for this ride and I wanted them to be all routes. Because the tracks are "off-road", I can't just create a route that follows them without selecting every single point on the track.

Steve

I think you're SOL.......you'll have to either ride with a combo of both or draw in tracks where you now have routes.......

The tracks will still show up on your screen when you're following a route......just turn off of the route and onto the track when they merge (be sure to turn route navigation screen prompts OFF so the GPS stops trying to recalculate/navigate when you leave the route and start riding along the track)........Strega and I rode a combination of my planning routes/tracks when we went around the Grand Canyon......then, once back, I just tossed the "planning" routes with "active " tracks......

I think you're SOL.......you'll have to either ride with a combo of both or draw in tracks where you now have routes.......

The tracks will still show up on your screen when you're following a route......just turn off of the route and onto the track when they merge (be sure to turn route navigation screen prompts OFF so the GPS stops trying to recalculate/navigate when you leave the route and start riding along the track)........Strega and I rode a combination of my planning routes/tracks when we went around the Grand Canyon......then, once back, I just tossed the "planning" routes with "active " tracks......

When you say I'm SOL, are you refering to my initials or my luck?! B)

OK, that's what I plan to do. It's nice to know that it works. Thanks.

Steve

Ride completed (had to skip Inspiration Wash). Will add write-up and pictures tomorrow.

Steve