Sign in to follow this  
Buckshot

IMS Gas Tanks

I just gotta rant about my new IMS tank experence... sorry in advance for this 2 page rant!After two inventory screw-ups by IMS (two week delay), and then a two week wait for them to build some more white tanks for the big DR, I finally received my new IMS tank to go along with my new Corbin seat (It took Corbin 1 week to get me a custom seat, It took IMS a month to get me a “stock” tank!).First thing I notice is that IMS used a sticker to seal their plastic shipping bag. Here's what it says:"" WARNING! Read before RemovingBuyer understands and agrees that seller makes no representation or warranties of any kind, express or implied as to any matter whatsoever, including the condition of the product or any component parts thereof, it's merchantability or its fitness for any particular purpose, or with respect to any patent or trademark infringement or the like, except as expressly provided herein. The foregoing warranty is in lieu of all other representations and warranties expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, any warranty of merchantability of fitness for a particular purpose. As to seller, buyer purchases the product "as is" and "where is". ""Wow... now that's really standing behind your product! Having survived two semesters of Contract law in law school, I can tell you what they really are saying is "We take absolutely no responsibility for the crappy product contained in this bag" I can also tell you that the owners wife must have wrote this, because anyone who passed the CA bar exam would never publish such a horribly written warranty exclusion and limit of liability.Next, I read the instructions... They want me to use my own OEM petcock bolts. Now, the more I thought about this, the more it irked me... they provide the petcock... they provide the tank with the embedded bolts... couldn't they have spent the extra buck and included two new stainless steel bolts with the kit, so I wouldn’t have to disassemble my OEM tank??? To add injury to this, I find during installation that the OEM tank bolts are obstructed by the petcock body during attempted insertion! In order to use the OEM bolts, I have to drill out the petcock bolt mounting holes!Did I mention that their provided petcock looks like it was caste out of the cheapest base metal they could possibly find? Oh, and though they provide a vented gas cap, they couldn't seem to cough up the 15 cents to provide a 2ft vent line.OK, parts are laid out, OEM tank is drained and disassembled, and tool bags are open. I inspect the tank... it's full of plastic shavings. I guess they weren't kidding about making sure to clean out the tank before installation! (You’d think they could do that during the manufacturing process, wouldn't you?). OK, after 10min of blowing it out with an air compressor, I realize that I better flush this tank out with water in order to insure it’s clean. (Two days later, after the tank is finally dry, I restart the project.)I inspect the petcock mounting area... I notice that the plastic of the tank, between the two embedded mounting nuts, is significantly lower then the plane between the two nuts... perhaps 1/8 of an inch. This is the area which the supplied rubber gasket needs to form a fuel-tight seal between the tank and petcock. Last time I checked, this area needs to be darn close to flush with the nut tops in order to get a seal, but, I figured I'd go thru the process and hope for the best.Ok, install the petcock (this is when I notice that the OEM petcock bolts do not clear the IMS petcock body). The instructions state: "Tighten snugly, but DO NOT over tighten". Hmm... they provide the gasket, they provide the nuts (and should provide the bolts)... couldn't they provide a torque value to insure a proper seal? Guess the engineers were out of the office on the day they wrote the install instructions.Well, long story short, the petcock held during a 1 gallon fill, but started leaking like a sieve when I started the bike. If you've ever been in this situation, you know it's not pretty: gas flowing down t he side of your bike, you're franticly searching for a gas can and funnel, and then your stuck draining your tank from a leaking petcock valve.After the flow finally stopped, I noticed that I only had 1/2 a gallon in the jug... the other 1/2 was still in the tank, in the right hand side low point (so, make that a "4.5 gallon tank", unless you're willing to lay the bike down on it's left side to get the gas to the other side of the tank!Did I mention that the IMS "Flight Line" Shift lever I ordered doesn't fit the DR? The kid at IMS said that maybe it didn't have the correct bend, so I should send it back to them so they could check it out.Did I mention that the IMS Gas Tank GPS mount I ordered doesn't fit the Magellan Meridian GPS, even though they say it fit's "Most GPS's" (except the second most popular GPS on the planet!)At this point, I'm thinking the Clark 4gal tank might be the way to go. I think I'll ship all this IMS crap back to Riverside, where it should sit until rapture, or the next ice age, whichever comes first. Of course, the Corbin seat is cut for the IMS tank... sheesh!So, a question: for you guys who have installed your own IMS gas tanks, did you run into the same problems as I did? I assume you jury rigged your own petcocks with a bunch of home-cut rubber gaskets?WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ME!!! Thanks for listening... I feel much better now!

Guest Richard Ramsey

Wow! What a story. I just bought a new 2004 DRZ400S and was going to put a IMS tank on the motorcycle, but now I don't know if I will...back to the drawing board to find out more info concerning after market tanks.Richard Ramsey ramsey5@mindspring.com

Guest Guest

geez remember, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Wow, I was going to order the IMS 4.9 for my 05 DR650SE, but not now. Guess I will have to figure something else out.

Guest Guest

I skipped the IMS (to high), and went for the Clarke for my (ex) TT600.I bought Clarke and Acerbis both, and never had issues with either.Just my two cents. :blink:

I have an IMS 4.9 on my DR and love it. I went through the pain and suffering that most do with the Petcock gasket. Made my own gasket out of proper gasket material which stopped the leak but the reserve didn't work well so I was essentially stuck with the same fuel capacity as the stock tank. Got a Pengel petcock and all is well now. I have the semi transparent white tank which looks good on a blue bike and you never have to wonder how much gas you have left. The shape of the tank is nice and it is very solid.I would buy it again if I had to get another tank. Just go straight to the Pengel petcock out of the box and there will be no issues.Andy

I've heard bad things about Clarke and IMS... I have no issues with my Clarke, other than it bends the seat a little more steeply. But for all the extra fuel, I'm in.

Guest stevensyanora

my ims tanks great it went right on nooo problem but the gasket they provided did suck and it did leak so I made my own bada bing. and after throwing the big dr down 3 times Im sure the tank has paid for itself, sorry you had a bad time with your on line purchase I thought I was the only one who got hammered see ya :D