Sign in to follow this  
bikeslut

sunday the 26th

Looking for suggestions for a place to go riding... with a 7 year old kid, 10 year old kid and their n00b dad (to quote advrider)

I know it's the tail end of insanity weekend, so I'll probably head out after noon. Thinking Lark Canyon, but any other suggestions? Is Superstition fairly tame (compared to Glamis for instance)

Lark cayon,,, not good !!! small riding area without going on the trails,, and trails are single track and not for noobs !! and lots of wannabe racers coming at ya..

just came back up last night from desert......

lots of open areas, along evens huges highway, in between panited george and plaster city east,

and same on wheeler road into superstitions, but wouldnt go all the way in to supers,sand areas...(mini glamis)...

both places,, just pull over anywhere, where its wide open, without lots of other people,,, kids can ride pretty far ,and you can keep them in sight from camp,,but try to park close to where there are some kind of rolling hills of some kind.. so its not to boring and,,,,,so you can hone your skills some more....

I've been going to Truckhaven for years with my Jeep, and more recently with my DRZ400. It's a large open area just north of the S-22 off the hwy 86 near Salton City. You turn west on N. Marina dr., and follow the road for about 1.5 miles until the ashpalt ends, then just choose your spot. Terrain is similar to O-wells, with areas of both mild features/beginners terrain, and more intense hills and washes at the foothills nearby, but alot less people/idiots. Restraunts, gas and 2 stores are in Salton city a few miles away. You can google images and maps of the place. I'll be out there starting friday afternoon for the weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion... For one day, I don't think I want to drive that far, with my wife's ex. I may even just drive them up to Bear Valley Road for some n00b lessons. The kids are very accomplished, but still not used to opposing traffic, and the dad hasn't been on a dirt bike in years.

I have a 4x4 trail book that has details of Truckhaven and it looks like a great place to explore... It also has lots of trails in Arrowhead/Big Bear Area that I may try to hit before it gets too cold

I don't think I want to drive that far, with my wife's ex.

Ha !!! That's funny right there !!

I figured I would also suggest Mc Cain Valley, since it's not far from you in Alpine.

Yeah; Mc Cain Valley (Lark Canyon) was my first thought, but I normally avoid zoos on busy weekends. Then somebody here confirmed that it would be a bit crowded.

I think Plaster City makes sense, and it's only an hour from the house, so that should work.