Sign in to follow this  
Yeti

Ocotillo Madhouse Ride

PoBoyBlues (200EXC), Capt. Technology (300EXC) and I (XR650R) hit Ocotillo yesterday for a little fun. The weather was perfect and the conditions were great. Because of the rain, there was so much traction it was almost like cheating! :P

The only downside to the day were the crowds. :P Everyone with a toybox, rv or quad was out at Ocotillo this weekend. Or at least it seemed that way.

Shell Reef. Keep in mind this was at about 9am. When we rolled back through at about 2pm, there were 4 times as many people and 3 ambulances. :o

img0469xg3.jpg

This is looking towards Poleline Road from a ledge near Sheel Reef:

img0481qg5.jpg

PoBoy and Capt. wondering where the hell all these people came from:

img0471tu4.jpg

We started from the Ranger Station and rode out cross country (avoiding the big trails) to Shell Reef to check out the madness. From there we took small trails out to Arroyo Salado and rode that all the way out to Salton City for lunch at Travertine. The food was good but because it was so crowded it took forever.

After lunch we rode Pole Line Road down to near Gas Domes and then played in the tight trails to the east of the domes. We then rode cross-country back near Shell Reef where we played here. That's Capt. and PoBoy on top:

img0478xh6.jpg

PoBoy heading up:

img0472sq7.jpg

Capt. Technology heading up and . . . topping out:

img0474ww9.jpg

img0475kz9.jpg

Then we took an awesome sand trail back to the Ranger Station.

Capt. Tech:

img0488os6.jpg

PoBoyBlues:

img0491gn4.jpg

And me:

img0493bl0.jpg

What you can't see in this picture is that my right foot is waaaay off the peg as I had just "saved" a high side when I tried to gas it for the berm. 650 has a lotta power!! :D

Great day of riding with no crashes and no mechanical issues (other than my lights refusing to turn on)!!!

Yep, good ride, Scotty. I was lights out by 10. Slept until 9 this morning. Send over all the pics. By the way, I found my camera. Know where it was????? IN MY PACK! I had it the whole time, and didn't know it and didn't care to look, either. Dumdum.

Yep, good ride, Scotty. I was lights out by 10. Slept until 9 this morning. Send over all the pics. By the way, I found my camera. Know where it was????? IN MY PACK! I had it the whole time, and didn't know it and didn't care to look, either. Dumdum.

Ha ha!! I fell asleep on the couch just after 9. Kid woke me up at 7 or I would've slept later.

At least you found the stupid thing so I don't have to take all the pictures next time!! :o

Yeah, it was crazy! I was out there with a couple of friends.

I felt like I was going down a two lane road if I stayed on main trails. There was always a line of people in front of me and a line of people going to other direction. You couldn't even pass.

Anyway, we had a great time...just kept our eyes open.

Dang thats a lot of people. Reminds me of weekends at Gorman where you see at least one medevac chopper a day :)

After 9? Weren't you and your boyfriend cookin' up food or somethin'?

Nope, I had ordered food. Capt. and I were both passed out on the couch while the wive's were yacking about New Year's plans. They left about 9 since we couldn't keep our eyes open. :(

Dang thats a lot of people. Reminds me of weekends at Gorman where you see at least one medevac chopper a day

Turns out that a guy died on Shell Reef Saturday. Probably in one of the medevac choppers or ambulances we saw. :(

After 9? Weren't you and your boyfriend cookin' up food or somethin'?

Nope, I had ordered food. Capt. and I were both passed out on the couch while the wive's were yacking about New Year's plans. They left about 9 since we couldn't keep our eyes open. :(

Dang thats a lot of people. Reminds me of weekends at Gorman where you see at least one medevac chopper a day

Turns out that a guy died on Shell Reef Saturday. Probably in one of the medevac choppers or ambulances we saw. :(

Yep he was camped with our group. I didn't really know him, rode with him once a few years ago.

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...ic=3549&hl=

Dude! That sucks royally. Can't imagine what the family must be going through. Terrible.......

Gotta be vigilant and be careful everyone! And ride SAFE!