Sign in to follow this  
Joliet

Radiator Guards

I have a 2000 DRZ400s and am looking at ordering some radiator guards this week. I am leaning toward Unabikers. Any comments positive or negative will be welcome. Do any of you ride without the radiators "wings"? Does it still cool properly? This is my first water cooled off road bike after half a dozen air cooled ones and it's hard to get used to seeing these "shovels" sticking out looking like they want to grab every stick, rock and bush anywhere near the trail.

I have been lurking on this site for a couple of weeks and can't wait to get out there and ride with you guys. Ken

a radiator is $300... therefore, just about everybody I know uses radiator guards. They do tend to make the bike run a little bit hotter; i notice the fan on a lot more than before, but i have never lit up the idiot light.

Sandiegoland has some really pretty rad guards, with a nice pattern. Mine are more basic, but I can lift the bike with one of them... they are STRONG

What kind of quards do you guys use/recomend? How was installation? I would love to go riding with you guys this weekend, But I would like to get my radiator and case guards on before I get out into the real nasty stuff. I am also waiting to hear back on a custom rear rack. I guess one more week won't kill me. Ken

the unabiker guards are well thought of... I can't remember which brand I got. They were very easy to install... about a half an hour. The horn install was the only thing that slowed me down; in fact, I still can't get it to sound out consistently...and I had to turn it around so it wasn't right against the radiator. If you want to work on your bike, you're welcome to bring the stuff to my house, or, if you have the tools, I can run over and help at your place. I don't get inside the engine, but take care of everything else. I think I'll tackle my first valve adjustment (in about 20 years) this winter.

Don't let those things stop you from riding this weekend; I promised my wife no helicopters or sirens, so I'll be going pretty mellow. as far as the wings; do you mean the "cowel" type thing that attaches to the tank? I haven't seen a DRZ without them, but I wouldn't worry about the cooling. That's what the fan and idiot light are for... you're bike will tell you.

regarding case guards... They install with silicone; no real attachment to speak of. went on in 5 minutes, ready to ride the next day

Sandiegoland has some really pretty rad guards, with a nice pattern...

My '02 DR-Z400S has the Unabiker Radiator Guards - Suzuki DR-Z400E 02-06 - Aluminum $95.00 at http://shop.thumpertalk.com/, PN UNABIKER_SUZ2

They were on the bike when I bought it.

Posted Image

Do any of you ride without the radiators "wings"?  Does it still cool properly? ...these "shovels" sticking out looking like they want to grab every stick, rock and bush anywhere near the trail.

Anything to minimize or absorb a side hit or wedge is good in my opinion. I don't use the bottom bolt though, I secure that with a tie-wrap so it will give in a hard hit.

I don't have a lot of tight trail experience, but so far the bark-busters on my handlebars catch more than anything. Or my mirrors if I forget to fold them in for that matter.

The Unabiker guards and Thumpertalk case guards are on the way, I will probably get them on next week. I am going to try to meet up with you guys on Sunday. I am in Vista so I can just cruize over to Julian and then down. I have a stock fuel tank, should I stop in Julian and fill or is the group going to stop somewhere within my range. Ken

... I have a stock fuel tank, should I stop in Julian and fill or is the group going to stop somewhere within my range...

Top-off in Santa Ysabel or Julian.

This is my first water cooled off road bike after half a dozen air cooled ones and it's hard to get used to seeing these "shovels" sticking out looking like they want to grab every stick, rock and bush anywhere near the trail.

Ken, check out this Photo from Thumpertalk. Some guy just "trimmed" his shrouds on a Supermotard. Could look good! :lol:

It may look good, but you might want to consider the air that is now not going to be pushed into you radiator-might be a cooling issue if your dirt riding!