moto_rph

SUNDAY! - Another Nice Ride...

Today is Sunday, and the weather was perfect for a ride.  You know, it was light and there was oxygen outside.  My friend, Dale G (who I just convinced to join the club) and I decided to do a dirt route.  This is a route that EVERYONE knows, but who cares?  It was a perfect day :)

We met in the Albertsons parking lot in Ramona, since we both have trailer queens.  Our bikes are "brothers from another mother"....my KTM 500 EXC-F and his Husky FE 501.

IMG_8041.jpg.d3ab1b33c746962595adb151fab8e846.jpg

Dale also has the perfect oxen to pull around his trailer queen.  I am jonesin' for one of these!

IMG_8039.jpg.37d9d8a5fbab390424f75b584b279247.jpg

Anyway, to get ready for an arduous day of dirt bike riding, we decided to go to the Kountry Kitchen before we start.  I was good with 2 eggs, 2 bacon, and even 2 sausage, but when I finished the french toast also, I wanted to nap, not ride....Damn!  I gotta keep up with this 30 something youngster, so get over it!!

We took a left on 7th and jumped on Pamo Road.  Did not stop till we ascended Piney Top.  Clear day, oxygen, etc....nice!   Met a solo rider named Jason on top, who was also on a KTM 500.  Shot the stuff for awhile and we began our descent.  We decided we weren't done with dirt, so turned left onto Upper Santa Ysabel Rd and headed over to Black Canyon Road.  This is one of my favorite trails as it can be easy (relatively) or dang sketchy, depending on the weather.  The dropoffs always give it a certain pucker factor.  

Black Canyon just didn't look like fun, and as much as we like going up to Mesa Grande we turned around and reversed course right back thru Upper Santa Ysabel Rd and back down to Pamo Rd.  A couple of miles later, we turned right and went up Orosco Ridge.  Lots of ruts, but much fun...

IMG_8042.jpg.bc1feca537a982772ccdee62227bfe2b.jpg

IMG_8050.jpg.6e4142bf1ca28a3ac6ac71884a2e30ec.jpg

After running the ridge in both directions, we decided it best to go home and explain to the wives how this could really "be fun."   I'm still working on a convincing line of logic, but my wife of 42 years just smiles and pats me on the head.

It's all good!

• Like 7

Awesome right up and sounded like a fun ride. Funny thing is that when i ride it is usually with my 76yo dad who has more energy than i do at 50. There is always "Where do we turn to continue riding". Joys of being retired i guess.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

Joys of being retired i guess.

Haha!

Don't romanticize the "joys of being retired" too much.  The reality check is the ibuprofen bottle you reach for after each ride ;)

• Like 1