Sign in to follow this  
dsherod

Base Camp Riding Suggestions

3 riders and 1, maybe 2, bikes so I'm looking for a place we can ride close to a base camp where riders can venture out going nowhere and return for the next rider's turn. MX practice tracks could qualify as well.

Departure point is Mira Mesa, so use that for a distance radius, and persons and gear will be trucked in and the bike(s) are street legal.

Any suggestions?

North end of Ramona is what comes to mind.

Orosco Ridge & Lusardi Canyon

Perhaps someone on the site has an extra bike to Rent out

La Jolla Campground near Amago raceway on Highway 76, by the base of Palomar Mountain comes to mind. But there is no legal dirt way to get from the campground to the race track.

You could also drive out to Corral Canyon off of I-8 east and south on Buckman Springs road. There are two campgrounds out there, both with shade trees. Bobcat Meadows has no running water, but Corral Canyon campground does. Probably no campfires allowed at this time of year and there will be plenty of flies.

La Jolla Campground near Amago raceway on Highway 76, by the base of Palomar Mountain comes to mind. But there is no legal dirt way to get from the campground to the race track.

You could also drive out to Corral Canyon off of I-8 east and south on Buckman Springs road. There are two campgrounds out there, both with shade trees. Bobcat Meadows has no running water, but Corral Canyon campground does. Probably no campfires allowed at this time of year and there will be plenty of flies.

Is there riding at Amago? Did they ever finish the "dirt" park?

I remember reading your recent account of flies at CC. Thanks for the tips.