have any of you guys found a decent way from Laguna Hanson to Valle de Trinidad since the locked gates popped up in the fall? I've been thinking about going down soon and do a little exploring to find a new way though. I've got some ideas that I was not able to try in November due to time contraints.

Vinny, where about are you running into locked gates. It has been a while for me since I was down there last and have only followed others from Hanson to Valle T or Indepencia. I would be very interested if anyone has gps points to the gates that are locked.

For anyone that rides in Baja, I would strongly urge you to join Racers and Ranchers http://racersandranchers.com/. It's not just for racers, but for enthusiasts in general and the purpose is as a medium to work with the land owners down there to keep the land open. Usually these gates get locks slapped on them when careless people (many times us off roaders) pass through gates and don't shut them, causing rancher's animals to get loose. I don't race, but I recognize that this organization right now is the best shot at keeping those gates open (or getting them opened back up) so that we can all enjoy the trails down there.

Vinny, where about are you running into locked gates. It has been a while for me since I was down there last and have only followed others from Hanson to Valle T or Indepencia. I would be very interested if anyone has gps points to the gates that are locked.

For anyone that rides in Baja, I would strongly urge you to join Racers and Ranchers http://racersandranchers.com/. It's not just for racers, but for enthusiasts in general and the purpose is as a medium to work with the land owners down there to keep the land open. Usually these gates get locks slapped on them when careless people (many times us off roaders) pass through gates and don't shut them, causing rancher's animals to get loose. I don't race, but I recognize that this organization right now is the best shot at keeping those gates open (or getting them opened back up) so that we can all enjoy the trails down there.

The standard route, leaving Ramonas on the main road to Ojos about 6 miles to the El Rayo turnoff, then about a mile in, brand spankin new locked gate put up by the ejido. Or, go further past the El Rayo turnoff to the road that goes by the fire tower, about 6 miles in, brand spankin new locked gate, also put up by the ejido. Then I tried the section of the 2006 SCORE Baja 500 route, about 25 miles in, brand spankin new locked gate, put up by the ejido. At that point I gave up and went into Ojos and picked up Mex 1 near Independencia as I wanted to make gonzaga by nightfall.

I talked to one rancher by Santa Catarina. My Spanish sucks, but from what I gathered the ejido is putting up gates all over from Tecate - Rumorosa - Ojos, to Valle T. As you may or may not know, that route has gotten very popular with off-roaders of the big 4 wheeled variety, and large guided groups. The rancher said that they did it due to injured/killed livestock, gates being left open etc and they had enough of it, which is completely undestandable. He tried to explain to me a route I could use but you know ranchers and directions.......go down here a little ways and make a right at the big tree, then take the left fork where there is a rock next to a big bush, blah, blah, blah. :blink: I have an idea of what he was talking about, but have not had the time to check it out.