Sign in to follow this  
jimi

Otay, sort of

Started out from home today, and just sort of crusied around on the KTM. I ended up near Otay Lakes, took it to the Country Store. I had no real routes in my shitty little GPS, so just sort of winged it. I ended up on some access road, then onto Minnewawa Truck Trail. I saw on the GPS that Otay Truck Trail went off to the right, so I followed it. Next time I looked at the GPS, I wasn't actually on any road, just sort of in clear space. Comforting. Anyway, the road clearly was maintained, and looked like it went somewhere, so I kept going. Eventually, it banked around, and put me going North again. I figured that if it kept going that way, I'd run into 94, and would at least know where I was. As I got near 94, I could see some kind of event going on, a few people milling around, including Mr. BLM.

He hustled over, and was mostly definitely not happy with me. Demanded my drivers's license, telling me I was in a closed area. I began with explaining where I had started out, and had no real idea how I had gotten into a closed area, because honestly, I never once saw a sign to that effect. He told me that I must have passed a bunch, and was not buying my story. I grabbed my GPS, and showed him the route, or what there was of it, and anyway, he cooled off some. I kind of wanted to tell him to go close some of the fucking gates I went through if the area is off limits, but he was being cool by this point, so I kept my mouoth shut. He gave me my license back, and opened the gate for me to get onto 94. Feeling like I dodged a bullet, I enjoyed the ride back to Jamul and beyond till I was home.

Looking at the map now, I can see that maybe staying on the Minnewawa Truck Trail till it turns into Otay Mountain Truck Trail would have been the thing to do. Another day.