Sign in to follow this  
Jon O

Sunday 12/9 Otay Mountain Truck Trail?

I've never ridden it, so if anyone who has ridden it wants to lead a ride down there, let me know. Anyone else interested, chime in here. Maybe meet at the Dulzura Cafe around 9:30 am?

I've never ridden it, so if anyone who has ridden it wants to lead a ride down there, let me know. Anyone else interested, chime in here. Maybe meet at the Dulzura Cafe around 9:30 am?

I love the Otay Truck Trail, probably ride it at least once a month, nice hardpack for the big bikes and good elevation changes. Very dangerous with no guard rails, had a kid behind me once shoot off and break his back. 19 and paralized ;)

tntmo and I may be doing the border fence line run with some supermoto from Tecate on east. If I don't do that I'll get with you and do this ride. Also, let me know if you want to shoot out with us, prolly meet out at Tom's place in Lemon Grove in the am. These rides starting at noon and taking up the whole Sunday are no good for me.

I'm on a Strom 650 and he's on a DR 435 for now.

What time are you guys doing that border line ride and where are you meeting?

may be this am, we are still trying to get an idea of the weather.

Conflict of schedule lat min. Can't go.

:)

Well. I went on my own and boy am I glad I did! If there are

more spectacular vistas somewhere in San Diego County, tell me where they are and I'll check them out next!

I got a late start and tried to find it from the 905/West side. I took Alta road to a Mexican restaurant in the middle of nowhere, where it looked like a dirt road started to head into the hills. But the road was very washed out and muddy and my 90% street tires couldn't deal with it and I couldn't tell if I was on someone's private property so I decided to approach it from the other side.

I headed to the Dulzura Cafe to regroup with a plate of Huevos Rancheros and a Coke and then took Maroon Valley Road to Otay Mountain Truck Trail, then rode pretty much to the top before turning around and heading back as the weather looked a little iffy and I didn't want deal with my crappy tires if the road got wet and greasy. As it was, the road was just damp enough for perfect traction and I didn't see another vehicle coming up or down, had the whole place to myself.

I for sure will want to ride it again soon.

Well. I went on my own and boy am I glad I did! If there are

more spectacular vistas somewhere in San Diego County, tell me where they are and I'll check them out next!

I got a late start and tried to find it from the 905/West side. I took Alta road to a Mexican restaurant in the middle of nowhere, where it looked like a dirt road started to head into the hills. But the road was very washed out and muddy and my 90% street tires couldn't deal with it and I couldn't tell if I was on someone's private property so I decided to approach it from the other side.

I headed to the Dulzura Cafe to regroup with a plate of Huevos Rancheros and a Coke and then took Maroon Valley Road to Otay Mountain Truck Trail, then rode pretty much to the top before turning around and heading back as the weather looked a little iffy and I didn't want deal with my crappy tires if the road got wet and greasy. As it was, the road was just damp enough for perfect traction and I didn't see another vehicle coming up or down, had the whole place to myself.

I for sure will want to ride it again soon.

Jon O,

If you went to the north side of that restaurant you would find a nice graded road going up the hill. That starts the truck trail. The road use to be really beaten up about fifteen years ago. Then they had the National Guard come out and improve all the roads for the Border Patrol. Now they are better then a lot of the streets in San Diego! :lol: I use that road to come to work sometimes.

Don’t go on the paved road past the restaurant. You’ll find yourself at a couple of jails at the end of the road. The Deputies there are leery of people putting around the area and they have no sense of humor! :)

Roger

Yeah, I ended up taking the paved road all the way to the end and ended up at a juvenile detention facility and then U-Turned back. So does the graded road start behind the restaurant? Do you take the driveway in to the restaurant and then go behind it or something? I'm a little foggy on which way is north there. I didn't see any obvious road that T'd into Alta road. Just some crazy made up tracks that ran parallel to Alta that started by jumping a curb and then veered right through some muck and then maybe past that it started looking like a road.

???

On the way out of there, I saw these two wide dirt roads running parallel to each other with some power lines in between called Harvest Road. That looked kind of interesting but it was like sloppy wet clay from the rains and I couldn't make much progress with my tires. Anyone ever take that?

I couldn't believe how much open space there is down there. For sure want to explore down there some more.

Yeah, I ended up taking the paved road all the way to the end and ended up at a juvenile detention facility and then U-Turned back. So does the graded road start behind the restaurant? Do you take the driveway in to the restaurant and then go behind it or something? I'm a little foggy on which way is north there. I didn't see any obvious road that T'd into Alta road. Just some crazy made up tracks that ran parallel to Alta that started by jumping a curb and then veered right through some muck and then maybe past that it started looking like a road.

???

On the way out of there, I saw these two wide dirt roads running parallel to each other with some power lines in between called Harvest Road. That looked kind of interesting but it was like sloppy wet clay from the rains and I couldn't make much progress with my tires. Anyone ever take that?

I couldn't believe how much open space there is down there. For sure want to explore down there some more.

Jon O,

Well it is not true north, but if you took the drive heading to the restaurant and then took a left almost as soon as you get off the pavement. Looking toward the restaurant you want to be going to the left side around the complex (that is sort of the north side). Keep heading toward the hills. You will pass some scrap iron, trucks and trailers (mini junk yard). After a few hundred yards the several roads will lead to one road up the hill. That is where you want to go. Just keep the restaurant and house on your right as you go by and you will get there.

Again I would stay away from the jails and prison there. Those guys can get jumpy :):lol: if you keep driving around in the area.

there is a ton of good riding around there. the Mexican place on Alta is where I start too. Depending on which gates are open, you can go for quite a way. The altitude and scenery changes are sweet. Check out some side trails up off the main trail too. Even at the base of the trail there is good riding. Boarder patrol and the police have never even pulled me over on my bike. Now in my 4x4 they pull me over all the time and do the whole routine. No big deal. On a bike they don't even look at me twice, I just speed by and wave.

Next weekend weather looks good. If I shoot up in that area or head out with Tom tntmo, I'll give you a shout. That is one of my favorite places to ride and is so close.

The road just past the Mexican place to the north had a gate up and some obstructions the last few times I went up. I take a right on the restaurant road then a quick left to get on the truck trail then head on up. Probably have great food at that little joint too.

Now you have me all worked up to head out there again. :)

Last time there I took a left at the restaurant before the trail starts you go down and end up past the jails and on to where the new freeway is. Nice wide open fast trails all over the place there. Even hit a big water crossing before the rains. Some tricky spots for a big bike, prolly would not try it in the mud.

Boarder patrol and police don't bother bikes there either, just watch out when they are shooting at the police range out there!

Sweet adventure riding though, we'll hit it up soon.

The road just past the Mexican place to the north had a gate up and some obstructions the last few times I went up. I take a right on the restaurant road then a quick left to get on the truck trail then head on up. Probably have great food at that little joint too.

Now you have me all worked up to head out there again. <_<

Last time there I took a left at the restaurant before the trail starts you go down and end up past the jails and on to where the new freeway is. Nice wide open fast trails all over the place there. Even hit a big water crossing before the rains. Some tricky spots for a big bike, prolly would not try it in the mud.

Boarder patrol and police don't bother bikes there either, just watch out when they are shooting at the police range out there!

I probably can't go this weekend because I'm doing a toys for tots type Moto Guzzi Charity ride on Saturday and da wife won't be keen on me leaving her with a four year-old and two year-old twins for two days in a row. But I have the last week of December and the first week of January off (perks of being a teacher) and want to explore down there some more. I'll be watching here for rides or posting another of my own.

Now you have me all worked up to head out there again. <_<

I probably can't go this weekend because I'm doing a toys for tots type Moto Guzzi Charity ride on Saturday and da wife won't be keen on me leaving her with a four year-old and two year-old twins for two days in a row. But I have the last week of December and the first week of January off (perks of being a teacher) and want to explore down there some more. I'll be watching here for rides or posting another of my own.

I believe tom tntmo and I will be calling in sick tomorrow and may hit up the truck trail area. Damn flu going around you know. I'll check here or send me a msg to see if others come down with a bug too. Riding bug that is.