Sign in to follow this  
unclecameron

Heated jacket / pants suggestions?

Been trying to keep the wife from freezing solid as a passenger on cold rides, heard that Widder makes good stuff, anyone have any experience with something they liked? Also, the stuff looks complicated to get all the widgets neccesary (besides jacket and pants) to hook it up to the accessory outlet on the pig. I mean, do I need a switch, thermostat, hardwired, dual plug capable, etc?

Been trying to keep the wife from freezing solid as a passenger on cold rides, heard that Widder makes good stuff, anyone have any experience with something they liked? Also, the stuff looks complicated to get all the widgets neccesary (besides jacket and pants) to hook it up to the accessory outlet on the pig. I mean, do I need a switch, thermostat, hardwired, dual plug capable, etc?

Cam... if no one here can help you, try advrider.com lots of hi mileage guys from cold climates... the bmw forums are particularly strong on this stuff...

me? I just freeze until I get back to the heated leather seats of my truck; already wired and ready to go...

Unclecameron,

I’ve been using Gerbing heated clothes with my Harley for two years now. While not cheep, it works for me. www.gerbing.com I use the jacket liner. Works like a regular (non-wind proof) jacket when worn by itself. Then you can put it underneath any of your other jackets for wind and weather protection. You can plug in electric gloves and pants or pant liners, inline with the jacket. You should get a thermostat to go with whatever you get. I went and bought a dual thermostat so I could control my gloves and jacket separately. I should have just gotten the single thermostat. It’s all you really need. But if you are dead set on a dual control, buy a single and trade me for the dual control. :D

I still believe in the layer principal, thus my use of the jacket liner and separate outer coat instead of a single jacket. I just got back from a trip in October to Idaho, Montana, Dakota, Kansas etc. We were mostly camping on this two week trip and it kept me quite toasty. Heated gloves are more important then the jacket or pants. You can always put on a bunch of pants or jackets and stay warm. You can’t wear several layers of gloves though. Frozen hands can really ruin a otherwise nice trip. B)

Hard wire a plug into you bike. That makes it a lot easier. It is not complicated at all, even I was able to do it. I’ve found myself riding in snow and rain and heated clothing is the Bomb. :lol:

Just remember if SHE isn’t happy, you ain’t going to be happy! :lol: Get the heated clothes and make yourself happy! My $.02, Roger.