Yeti

Another "new" bike

A few weeks ago Chief and I were chatting at the BMW Motorcycles open house about bikes for commuting and such. I've always wanted a GS of some sort and that talk started me looking in earnest. So two weeks ago I "traded" my R for this big 'un:

img0020oh2.jpg

Took her out Sunday up around Laguna and stuff. Stopped at the hang glider port to see how the desert's doing:

img0022jx8.jpg

It's a '96 R1100GS with just over 55k miles. It has lots of extras and upgrades n' stuff from Touratech so that's cool!! This bike is amazing on the street and it is soooo easy to ride in the twisties!!

Now I want to take it out in the dirt and get it dirty. Nothing too serious, I'm thinking fire roads here, because I'm not going to put knobbies on it, just stick with the Tourances.

So where are some good fire roads and does anyone else ride beasts like this off road?

A few weeks ago Chief and I were chatting at the BMW Motorcycles open house about bikes for commuting and such. I've always wanted a GS of some sort and that talk started me looking in earnest. So two weeks ago I "traded" my R for this big 'un:

img0020oh2.jpg

Took her out Sunday up around Laguna and stuff. Stopped at the hang glider port to see how the desert's doing:

img0022jx8.jpg

It's a '96 R1100GS with just over 55k miles. It has lots of extras and upgrades n' stuff from Touratech so that's cool!! This bike is amazing on the street and it is soooo easy to ride in the twisties!!

Now I want to take it out in the dirt and get it dirty. Nothing too serious, I'm thinking fire roads here, because I'm not going to put knobbies on it, just stick with the Tourances.

So where are some good fire roads and does anyone else ride beasts like this off road?

I ride a 400+ pound V-Strom offroad with the stock trailwings on it. Really tricky in the sand, so I stick to hardpack. tntmo and some other sdar's went on an awesome 50/50 ride a while back. I don't know all the street/dirt road names, but we met up at the Carls Jr on I-8 and Tavern then took Alpine Valley exit to dirt to engineers then onward. I do this ride and the Otay Truck trail at least once a month, they are perfect for big bikes. There is a good write up & pics on it under Otay I think.

If we, or I shoot out there again soon, I'll drop you a note.

Grant

post-2136-1197215570_thumb.jpg

I had one the same year/flavor and took it down the Diablo dropoff, out by Ocotillo Wells and was just fine, just have to watch catching air, tends to land like a tank, accompanied with loud "thumps" :lol: when the suspension bottoms, but just lug the motor down, shut off the ABS and troll along, you'd be surprised by how well it does. I can get a lot more air with the new Pig, but my 1100 was a really nice roadbike, very pleasant, rode coast to coast in comfort :) Run TKC-80 Continentals on it if you're going offroad, you'll immediately know why otherwise :lol:

Grant, please do let me know next time you're heading out that sounds like fun.

Run TKC-80 Continentals on it if you're going offroad, you'll immediately know why otherwise :)

If the TKC's would last more than a few thousand miles I'd get em in a heartbeat. But I need tires that'll last enough for commuting on a semi-daily basis. They need to make a dual compound knobby tire for big trailies.

Grant, please do let me know next time you're heading out that sounds like fun.

Run TKC-80 Continentals on it if you're going offroad, you'll immediately know why otherwise <_<

If the TKC's would last more than a few thousand miles I'd get em in a heartbeat. But I need tires that'll last enough for commuting on a semi-daily basis. They need to make a dual compound knobby tire for big trailies.

They do!

908RR.jpg

I am running one now. Only 600 or so miles so far.

NightRide002.jpg

Here is the link, D908RR writeup

Nice Bike Yeti!

So are you keepin the BRP too?

Definitely! No way I'm getting rid of the BRP. The GS can go "off-road" but it's not made for the single track and fun crap that I like to do. In fact, I'm taking the BRP up to Gorman (or somewhere near there) on Saturday!

RBP for commuting and travelling.

BRP for fun and shenanigans.

I run the TKC-80 on the front, and something else like a tourance on the back, still does suprisingly well, and you'll get around 5K on the front. The difference is the ability to steer offroad :lol:

I run the TKC-80 on the front, and something else like a tourance on the back, still does suprisingly well, and you'll get around 5K on the front. The difference is the ability to steer offroad :lol:

How is the TKC on the street?