Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

Monday - 3 Sep - Pine Valley

Went on Sunday, 2 Sep - going again tomorrow!!!

Man, family plans are getting in the way of my holiday weekend riding! :angry:

It looks like Jr and I have tomorrow to ourselves so we'd like to try a little of that riding stuff. I figure we've got to get an early start to get some riding in and beat the heat so we're going to hit the closest green sticker place to the homestead - Pine Valley. Right now, the plan is to get there pretty close to sunrise (6:30am - ouch) ride the forest road to Kernan Cycle trail over to 4 corners. From there, we'll se how we feel and if we went to hit some of the harder trails over there. If it's too warm, maybe just spur meadow up to the tower and check out the Espinoza trail (as much of it as is open). All green sticker trails so bring your dirtbikes if you've got 'em(still not red sticker season up there)!

The Weather Channel has it hitting 90 degrees by noon, so I hope to be in the trucks heading back by then.

I'm sure everyone knows where the Pine Valley staging area is, but if not take I-8 east to the Pine Valley exit. Turn south on Pine Valley Rd and you can't miss it. You'll need a National Forest Adventure Pass to park anywhere around there - there were tickets being handed out a few weekends ago. We'll be in the black Silverado with the KTM and Kawasaki in the back.

Anyone up for some dirt biking??

No takers for today, but we went anyways. Nice cool start in the early morning air. Pine Valley staging area and the first few miles of the road were actually a little wet. We rode the road, down the Kernan Cycle trail, up the other side of the Kernan Cycle trail (nice looking sign there SDAR'ers) to four corners. Down the trail to the campground, up Spur Meadow cycle trail to the road. Down as far as you can go down the Espinoza trail. Back up to the tower. Back down the road to the campground. Started up Bronco Peak (yes the hard way) and Jr broke a brake lever (even though he had barkbusters). Back Kernan and to the truck. Not too hot actually, since we kept moving. Lots of cool shade to take breaks on.

Anyways, I just got told by my wife that Jr and I have another kitchen pass for tomorrow!!! :angry::angry::D

We were thinking of doing the same thing, anybody else riding tomorrow (3 Sep) have a better place to go (has to be green sticker for Jr - sorry)? Anyone want to tag along at Pine Valley with us? We were thinking of another early ride to beat some heat, but are open to anything...

I'll try to be there... green F150, with yellow DRZ (or possibly Husky 510... hope) in the back...

I'll be ready to roll at 630, IF I'm going...

No pictures, nothing really significant happened - so no need for a ride report. Bikeslut, Jr and I had a great 50 miles today from Pine Valley to Corral Canyon, down the Espinoza trail, and around a few of the OHV trails in the area. Thanks for tagging along bikeslut, great ride! :heat:

nothing significant happened?!

I got a flat, which is not really that big of a deal, but I ruined the rim strip in the process... so I have to replace the whole bike...

Mickey (aka Jr, Wheat Grass, and Rooster) is a very good rider, even at just 14... He has no problem with most of the trails at corral, and doesn't mind my habit of close following... at one point, he got a little off line, and jumped up on a 3 foot ledge to the side of the trail; dropped back down in to the trail like he does this all the time.... It was fun dicing with him. I was letting him get ahead then running him down... ended up getting a pinch flat hitting some rocks at speed.

Okay, well maybe it seemed to me that nothing significant happened because I was too busy trying to keep up with you two. Although my trick for catching you on road back worked (you didn't see me by your back tire while you were resting up at the campground - did you???). Next time Wheat Grass gets the 0 PSI handicap...

:heat:

Replace the whole bike huh? What are you going to do with the old one? you could always give it away... :heat: