FROM THE UTMA (Utah Trail Machine Association) Website..........

From Brian Hawthorne

Dear Friends,

Is it time for another rant from Brian?

The answer is yes, and you'd better hang on to your keyboards 'cause Hawthorne is riled up!!!

Get this: I get an email yesterday from a "OHV enthusiast" that said:

"I am a long time dirt bike rider and I also do quite a bit of Jeeping. I have heard of your outfit many times in motorcycle magazines and such. I am not the sort of person to get active in these things, but having been all but shut out of the California deserts, and worrying about it in Colorado, I

now live in..." and he goes on to describe his concern over a lawsuit that might close his favorite road and wants me to help.

I responded politely, and I offered to help the best I could.

But on the inside.... I was seething!!!!

What I wanted to say, [but didn't] was something like; "Okay, Mr. "OHV enthusiast", you heard about our group, didn't join, don't want to get involved, did nothing while millions of acres were being closed, didn't ever log on our website or respond to an action alert, but as soon as some anti-access jerk closes YOUR favorite road that you thought was safe, you expect us to fly in with lawyers and money and save the day, is that right?"

Allow me to ask for your indulgence for a minute...

DO THIS: Put yourself in my chair.

Ok, sitting down? Good.

Now, your job is to fight huge anti-access organizations who are noted for their cooperation and coordination. These groups share a well funded and coordinated legal team and if they don't get their way in Congress, they appeal to the courts. Their members are active and are passionate about their issues. Their members engage federal land managers in just about every planning project, often write letters to the editors and visit regularly with their political representatives.

OK, stay in the chair for a minute, I'm not done...

You represent millions of Americans who use vehicles for access and recreation. your members are just as passionate as the members of these anti-access groups. You fight these guys and many times you are successful. Those victories are sweet, especially in light of the overwhelming disparity in your budget, and the budgets of your adversaries. You ask yourself how this can be? The answer is clear: It's because your membership is passionate and generous. Often, you find yourself overwhelmed with gratitude.

But you can't escape the fact that each year more and more roads and trails are closed.

You look at the best case scenario and note:

ONLY 9% OF OHV USERS ARE MEMBERS OF A CLUB OR ACCESS ORGANIZATION.

Still in the chair? Good!

Now, imagine how successful you would be if that 9% figure would be say, 50%?

Think about that carefully. Imagine what you could do. Imagine how more successful you could be. Imagine having biologists on staff to review public land planning documents. Imagine being able to respond to every lawsuit. Imagine if every state had full time professional access advocates. Imagine if our political clout matched that of our adversaries.

For those of us who decide to stay in the chair, we do the best we can. But we are limited because 91% of OHV users are exactly like the "OHV enthusiast" who emailed me yesterday... mired in ignorance and apathy. They read about our group, read about our court victories, and they still don't join or get active. They just stand by, doing nothing while they get shut out of millions of acres of public lands.

Ok, you can get out of that chair now.

HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART OF MY RANT:

You guys are the choir. You are members. If you are on this list you're active and you participate. I need you know how much those of us who sit in these chairs appreciate your involvement... Thank you!!

What more can you do?

We need the involved, active OHV community now more than ever. Land use planning processes all over the nation are shifting into high gear. National initiatives will be made final and implemented in coming months. New threats to OHV use are just over the horizon.

Guys like me see every challenge, every closure threat, every lawsuit as opportunity for success!

In order succeed, I need your help!

I need each and every one of you to resolve to take action whenever you see an action alert come across your inbox.

I need you to talk to your OHV club and organization about budgeting for legal defense.

I need you to contact your political representatives and communicate your concerns to them.

I need you to try and educate your fellow "OHV enthusiasts" who, like my friend who emailed me yesterday, can't get through their apathy and lack of knowledge.

Again, thanks to all active OHV enthusiasts... you make my job FUN!

Brian Hawthorne