Dirtdiver

Good Mexican restaurant near the Tecate border?

just east of the park is a taco shop, directly across the street from the park, if its open. killer carne tacos and good combination plates,

eat inside too.

In Tecate I like Tacos "La Güerita." It's about a half mile west of the Plaza on the main drag, the street that goes by the front of the Plaza. It's across the street from Pollo Feliz. Pollo Feliz is like Pollo Loco and it's also worth trying. Mexico imports a lot of chicken from the United States, but Pollo Feliz gets its chicken from Sonora, Mexico.

Trace Amigos Taqueria SE corner of park and wash it down at Bar Diana West middle side of park and say Hi to Mario

There are great suggestions, thanks. Are any of these sit down, moderately priced restaurants? I am looking for better than a taco shop. Somethign I could say to the wife, "hey lets go get dinner in tecate!"

Margarita, mexican combination, etc...

DD

There are great suggestions, thanks. Are any of these sit down, moderately priced restaurants? I am looking for better than a taco shop. Somethign I could say to the wife, "hey lets go get dinner in tecate!"

DD

La Güerita is a taco shop, but judging by the lines, it's very popular with the locals. I thought their quality of meat was better than other places I've been to in Tecate.

If you're taking the wife or guests from out of town, go to a restaurant on the Plaza. They're easy to get to and there's always something going on in the Plaza on weekends. Both my wife and I have been less than 100% pleased with the restaurants on the Plaza, but there's nothing terribly wrong with them and they're cheap by U.S. standards. Our complaints have been things like the meat being tough. Another time, my wife asked for her dressing on the side, but they put it on her salad. I can't remember ever ordering drinks from one of the restaurants on the Plaza.

Another place to consider is El Mesón. Make a left on the second street after crossing into Mexico, go one block, and look for it on the northeast corner. You order your food at the counter just like in a fast food restaurant, they call you when it's ready, and you pick it up and eat it at your table. They serve beer and they also have an outside courtyard where you can sit down and eat.

Remember to bring back some bread from "El Mejor Pan de Tecate" before you come home. It's on Juarez, the same street the Plaza is on, about 2 or 3 blocks east of the Plaza.

We found Trace Amigos by asking our bartender at Bar Diana. Its where the locals go but its not fancy. More like picnic bench style. I have tried 1 of the restaurants that look nice but the food was so so. It is like 50ft away from Bar Diana. I love Tecate especially on Sundays at Miguel Hildago Park, 5 blocks strait in from the 188 off of the 94. All the local Families go to the park and everyone is in their Sundays best clothes. The hustle and bustle is very friendly, nothing like TJ.

We found Trace Amigos by asking our bartender at Bar Diana. Its where the locals go but its not fancy. More like picnic bench style. I have tried 1 of the restaurants that look nice but the food was so so. It is like 50ft away from Bar Diana. I love Tecate especially on Sundays at Miguel Hildago Park, 5 blocks strait in from the 188 off of the 94. All the local Families go to the park and everyone is in their Sundays best clothes. The hustle and bustle is very friendly, nothing like TJ.

that sounds great, thanks.

DD

I went to El Meson last weekend. It was nice and the food was good, but I am looking for more of a sit down restaurant.

There was no line coming back across the border, walking. 730pm or so on Sat night. none.

DD

DD

La Güerita is a taco shop, but judging by the lines, it's very popular with the locals. I thought their quality of meat was better than other places I've been to in Tecate.

If you're taking the wife or guests from out of town, go to a restaurant on the Plaza. They're easy to get to and there's always something going on in the Plaza on weekends. Both my wife and I have been less than 100% pleased with the restaurants on the Plaza, but there's nothing terribly wrong with them and they're cheap by U.S. standards. Our complaints have been things like the meat being tough. Another time, my wife asked for her dressing on the side, but they put it on her salad. I can't remember ever ordering drinks from one of the restaurants on the Plaza.

Another place to consider is El Mesón. Make a left on the second street after crossing into Mexico, go one block, and look for it on the northeast corner. You order your food at the counter just like in a fast food restaurant, they call you when it's ready, and you pick it up and eat it at your table. They serve beer and they also have an outside courtyard where you can sit down and eat.

Remember to bring back some bread from "El Mejor Pan de Tecate" before you come home. It's on Juarez, the same street the Plaza is on, about 2 or 3 blocks east of the Plaza.

About 30 minutes east in the town of La Rumorosa is an amazing little spot that is sitdown and has great food for about $20/person.

Right next to the gas station.

I've been to about a dozen restaurants in Tecate and they've all been what I'd call informal. Don't be shy about trying out the restaurants on the plaza. The worst that can happen is you won't like them very much.

Another idea in Tecate is Asao Restaurant; from the outside, it looks like it's supposed to be a nice restaurant. I've never been there so I can't give it a review. Do a search and you'll find some reviews on it. The review in Trip Advisor in Spanish says the servings are small and the service is deficient. The rest of the reviews I found are positive. The easiest way to find it is to look in Google Maps for 32.576260, -116.619353.

If you do check out Asao, post up what you think. I've been meaning to try it out and I'd be interested in what you and your wife think about it.

There was no line coming back across the border, walking. 730pm or so on Sat night. none.

The only time I've had to wait in pedestrian at the Tecate POE was just before the bus to El Cajon was scheduled to leave and even then it was only about a five minute wait.

I've been to about a dozen restaurants in Tecate and they've all been what I'd call informal. Don't be shy about trying out the restaurants on the plaza. The worst that can happen is you won't like them very much.

Another idea in Tecate is Asao Restaurant; from the outside, it looks like it's supposed to be a nice restaurant. I've never been there so I can't give it a review. Do a search and you'll find some reviews on it. The review in Trip Advisor in Spanish says the servings are small and the service is deficient. The rest of the reviews I found are positive. The easiest way to find it is to look in Google Maps for 32.576260, -116.619353.

If you do check out Asao, post up what you think. I've been meaning to try it out and I'd be interested in what you and your wife think about it.

The only time I've had to wait in pedestrian at the Tecate POE was just before the bus to El Cajon was scheduled to leave and even then it was only about a five minute wait.

I heard about Asao from two others. I am going there next. I will report back. Thanks, DD

I finally tried Asao. I liked it and so did my wife. If you want to take your wife to a nice place, I recommend it. Good food, nice view, good service.

The place is a restaurant, hotel, and convention center. If you'd like to see which building in the complex is which, copy and paste these coordinates 32.576235, -116.619794 into Google Maps. This is the courtyard to the restaurant. Northeast side of the courtyard is the bar. Northwest and southwest is the restaurant. The walls are mostly glass so you have a nice view of Tecate and of the mountains from both the bar and the restaurant.

It's very quiet and peaceful like an oasis away from the hustle and bustle of Tecate. I would have never known the line of cars going to the port of entry was just north of the restaurant because of the ivy-covered masonry wall blocking out the noise from the traffic.

The building east of the restaurant is the convention center and event hall. The hotel is south of the restaurant.

→ Cost: I spent $70 for two people including drinks, dessert and a tip. Most of the entrees on the menu were from 200 to 400 pesos.

→ Reservations: We didn't get a reservation, but we went at about 3 in the afternoon. When we left, it was starting to fill up.

→ Even if you don't eat there, it's worth it to go to the bar and order some drinks. Enjoy the view from the terrace.

I finally tried Asao. I liked it and so did my wife. If you want to take your wife to a nice place, I recommend it. Good food, nice view, good service.

The place is a restaurant, hotel, and convention center. If you'd like to see which building in the complex is which, copy and paste these coordinates 32.576235, -116.619794 into Google Maps. This is the courtyard to the restaurant. Northeast side of the courtyard is the bar. Northwest and southwest is the restaurant. The walls are mostly glass so you have a nice view of Tecate and of the mountains from both the bar and the restaurant.

It's very quiet and peaceful like an oasis away from the hustle and bustle of Tecate. I would have never known the line of cars going to the port of entry was just north of the restaurant because of the ivy-covered masonry wall blocking out the noise from the traffic.

The building east of the restaurant is the convention center and event hall. The hotel is south of the restaurant.

→ Cost: I spent $70 for two people including drinks, dessert and a tip. Most of the entrees on the menu were from 200 to 400 pesos.

→ Reservations: We didn't get a reservation, but we went at about 3 in the afternoon. When we left, it was starting to fill up.

→ Even if you don't eat there, it's worth it to go to the bar and order some drinks. Enjoy the view from the terrace.

Did you go to the restaurant or the bistro at these prices?

I didn't know there was a restaurant and a Bistro. We must have been at the restaurant.

Since we went there, my wife talked to a couple of her friends who have also tried it and they liked it too.

I should have mentioned that they have a chef and the menu is mostly traditional Mexican dishes with his own twist.

I had the duck with a tamarind sauce which isn't a traditional Mexican dish, at least not that I know of. My wife had carne Tampiqueña but it was a little different from what you usually get with a Tampiqueña.

I should have mentioned that they have a chef and the menu is mostly traditional Mexican dishes with his own twist.

I had the duck with a tamarind sauce which isn't a traditional Mexican dish, at least not that I know of. My wife had carne Tampiqueña but it was a little different from what you usually get with a Tampiqueña.

I am more of a simple man. enchiladas with rice, beans, chips and strong margaritas!

I am more of a simple man. enchiladas with rice, beans, chips and strong margaritas!

It's still worth it to go to the bar and have a drink on the terrace.