Sign in to follow this  
CableJockey

Toro Peak Ride, we'll do it another day.

Edited again. We'll do this another day. Feel free to use the attached route.

Pipe fixed, didn't have to remove the tree. I'm ridin' tomorrow.

Just walked outside to leave and found a geyser alongside the house. Guess I ain't riding, it looks like I have to remove a tree to get to the pipe.

Oak Grove to Anza toToro Peak Ride gdb.txt

Anyone interested in a ride from Oak Grove Campground (Hwy 79 between Aguanga and Warner Springs) to Anza then on to Toro Peak. From the peak you can see Mecca and the north end of the Salton Sea. It’s 95 miles round trip and is should be doable by Noobs that have some experience with sand and mountain dirt roads that aren’t well maintained (but not completely rutted out). Expect to see some mildly steep uphill and downhill sections. With the caveat that I have never ridden a “big bike”, I would think this ride is big bike friendly.

The plan is to meet at Oak Grove Campground. I’m going to pay the $8 day (I think) use fee to grab a campsite but I think there is free parking across the street at the Oak Grove Ranger Station. Leave at 9am and the ride should take 5 – 6 hours to complete. We’ll stop in Anza for water, snacks, and gas on the way out. We ride to Toro Peak, enjoy the views, and then back to Anza for lunch. The last leg is back the same way we came. You can bail out, or bail in, at Anza by taking 371 to 79 and back to Oak Grove.

I don't know what the weather is like at the top of the mountain. Cold, wet, snow, who knows, we will turn around if it gets too bad. It's 95 miles round trip.

I'll be in the silver Excursion with the champagne cargo trailer.

Noobs are encouraged to ride. The Oak Grove to Anza section was my first real ride in dirt.

John

The file is a gdb file, delete the txt extension and make it a .gdb.

No takers. It's a nice ride, we'll do it another day. I'm going to join up with the Inkopah ride.

Too bad. That's a fun ride up to Toro Pk.

Here's a couple of shots from Toro peak a few weeks ago... Salton Sea in the background

2012-10-28_10-09-49_625.jpg

North towards Palm Springs...

2012-10-28_10-09-21_315.jpg

Please let me know when you re-plan this ride. If I can work out the date I'm in. Maybe the week between Christmas and NYE?

Scott

Here's a couple of shots from Toro peak a few weeks ago... Salton Sea in the background

2012-10-28_10-09-49_625.jpg

North towards Palm Springs...

2012-10-28_10-09-21_315.jpg

I was thinking the same thing but don't hesitate to post up a ride of your own. The tracks are in the post and you've welcome to repost them. It is one of the best rides in the area. Maybe I'll join you.